Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Sous Vide

So I just got my new Sous Vide in and I wanted to give it a test run with some chicken breast. It says put temp at 146 for 1-4 hours. How do I know when the chicken is done? Just have to pull it and check the IT? 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited February 2017
    Unless you have Dolly Parton sized chicken tits, the temperature will be 146 after an hour.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Congrats brother.  +1 on what John said.  You can go 90 min without ill effect.  Then sear it off.  Have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Dolly Parton chicken breast would be awesome 
  • For what it's worth, many do chicken breasts a bit higher in temp - say 149.  The SV texture/moisture takes some getting used to.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    And?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    bgebrent said:
    And?
    @bgebrent I'm kind of hoping he cooked them then coated them in lucky charms and deep fried them. Cuz that would be killer. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    And?
    @bgebrent I'm kind of hoping he cooked them then coated them in lucky charms and deep fried them. Cuz that would be killer. 
    Best comment of the night.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    YukonRon said:
    blind99 said:
    bgebrent said:
    And?
    Best comment of the night.
    Poor bastard is stuck in the surgeons lounge waiting for them to get the IV so he can go save a foot.  Probably.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    They turned out awesome. I stuck them on the cast iron skillet and browned them up. Could be the juiciest chicken I have ever ate. 
  • bgebrent
    Welcome aboard.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Not to hijack your thread, but waiting to jump in with his question....Sous Vide Circulating VS Oven AKA water bath....I'd be more apt to do stock Sous Vide, but can that be done with a circulator ? 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    lkapigian said:
    Not to hijack your thread, but waiting to jump in with his question....Sous Vide Circulating VS Oven AKA water bath....I'd be more apt to do stock Sous Vide, but can that be done with a circulator ? 
    Please clarify your question.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    35-5! Go Cats.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lkapigian
    edited February 2017
    bgebrent said:
    lkapigian said:
    Can you use a circulating Sous Vide to make a stock with the circulator directly in the stock? Would it jam up the pump/prop? Would a Sous Vide water oven be better suited for stocks and broths?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    bgebrent said:
    lkapigian said:
    Can you use a circulating Sous Vide to make a stock with the circulator directly in the stock? Would it jam up the pump/prop? Would a Sous Vide water oven be better suited for stocks and broths?
    Sure you can make stock/broth with the circulator - once. Circulator sous vide in water only. If a bag breaks the entire unit should be removed, taken apart and cleaned to avoid overheating the coil and messing with the impeller. Stock pots and stove tops work best.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bgebrent
    ^^^+1
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    bgebrent said:
    lkapigian said:
    Sure you can make stock/broth with the circulator - once. Circulator sous vide in water only. If a bag breaks the entire unit should be removed, taken apart and cleaned to avoid overheating the coil and messing with the impeller. Stock pots and stove tops work best.
    Thank you..I guess that's my point/ question with a Sous Vide water oven there is no need to bag as there is no circulator to get damaged...trying to wrap my head around the pros and cons of an immersion circulator Sous Vide vs a water oven sous vide..less moving parts , but limited capacity
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian