Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg of Lamb

Options
bob.bud
bob.bud Posts: 297
I went old school to control temp manually... and while it was like riding a bike, I sure like the convenience of the Smobot and will go back to using it for future cooks.

Anyhow, back to the lamb. I did not go crazy with getting it ready to cook, just used this recipe.

Fired up the egg and brought it up to a steady 300 and I made a few adjustments on the vents after adding the lamb to bring the temp back to 300 quicker. I did not time it, but I would guess that I was not as efficient as the Smobot. I would much rather sit in my chair and drink knowing the Smobot is dead nuts on the temp. I suppose some would argue that if I was rock steady at 300 before placing the lamb that I should not bother messing with the vents and just let the egg do its thing.

Egg @ 300 and lamb placed:

Just about ready to pull.

A view of a couple of slices, if the pic does not say it... it was tasty.

I used the iGrill to monitor temp and then probed with Thermopen. It took 2hrs and change for just shy of 5lbs to cook.

Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    You certainly did that leg of lamb justice.. Love your money shot..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Looks good. The egg always holds temps for me without bots or wires. But you gotta do what you gotta do. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    It looks almost as good as Rons money my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    SGH said:
    It looks almost as good as Rons money my friend. 
    Gets funnier every time, man 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Paulmattern
    Options
    Hi Fellow Eggheads! i just started using my LARGE Big Green Egg, and the Porterhouse Steak I did was my best EVER due to the 700 grilling temp I achieved.

But my next cook will be a 9 pound leg of lamb. I have an AWESOME recipe where I rub it with a soy sauce and herbs mixture, bake it at 450 to crust the rub, then finish it roasting it at 350. If I'm going to use my Egg instead, should I (still) do the 450 bake prior to putting it on the 350 Egg, or should I just roast it at 400 until I reach the desired internal temp? THANKS!
  • momeyd
    momeyd Posts: 10
    Options
    Do the whole cook on the egg at 250-300 till you get a 140 IT.  You'll get a nice crust and pink all the way thru.
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    momeyd said:
    Do the whole cook on the egg at 250-300 till you get a 140 IT.  You'll get a nice crust and pink all the way thru.
    I sure hope he wasn't waiting for a reply since August.
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14