Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ot-KBQ questions-Ot

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Focker said:
    Or stop by and see the dentist, when you are back in IL visiting Ma and Pa.  Peoria Custom Cookers don't Fock around. 
    Their Meat Monster is awesome.  Alwans uses one for their lunch service.
    Killer cooker but again the same with a smoldering lump fire and smoldering wood chunks. If you want a different flavor profile than your bge you are going to have to burn sticks. What really got me turned on to burning wood was the webcast the meathead did with dr. Blonder on amazing ribs dot com. You have to be a premium member to see it there but it may be out there for free somewhere. If you really want to know the difference between a live wood fire and charcoal and chunks, that is a very informative chat. You will totally get the science behind the KBQ once you see that. I think bill pretty much has the same info on the kbq site but the meathead interview is over an hour of nerdy BBQ fire talk. It's the same info in the franklin BBQ book as well but much more in depth on the "why"
    CT, all models of PCC's pits are stickburners.  There is no smoldering lump or chunks.  Some use a guru with them for ease.

You light them similar to a KBQ, chimney of lump to get things going, then sticks rest of the way.
    The internal firebox meat monster is a gravity fed lump box isn't it? Maybe I'm wrong but thought larrys was that way. I do recall now that the external is a stick burner. Badass cooker either way. Would love to have one. But for $10k I'll stick with the kbq. 
    Wow, didn't know they had an internal firebox model???  Never did see Larry's, always wanted to.  I know he wanted to sell it and get another PCC, must've been the external MM he was after.
    Probably so. Still want one bad. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sancho65
    sancho65 Posts: 226
    Options
    @HeavyG Could you please post a picture of the way you raised your KBQ? I thought the unit sits a bit low and I am considering raising mine and looking for ideas. Thanks in advance. 
    XL, Large, 2 Small's and Mini BGE Arlington Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Sent you a PM but I love mine. All that is said above is accurate. 
    ozzie- the backwoods is a charcoal insulated box just like an egg. Bigger and square but the same idea. A low smoldering fire with smoldering chunks or chips and  a set if and forget it mentality. The KBQ is a stick burner. That's where you would notice the difference in flavor. You don't get the true stick burner flavor from a choked down fire with smoldering chunks
    I only run my backwoods fat boy as a stick burner it has only been used with charcoal once in over 2 years.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Passed up on some sirloin at $2.79/lb, running out of freezer space.  

May need to borrow my brother's double barrel jerky gun, and get after it with some High Mountain.  

Bada$$ vid
    https://youtu.be/aBXH3BmqJCQ
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker my backwoods actually works great as a stick burner one small split will hold 250-275 with the vents wide open and since it's so well insulated I only add 1 small split every 45 minutes or so. My smoker isn't too pretty cause the smoke but it's well seasoned.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options
    Lit said:
    ozzie- the backwoods is a charcoal insulated box just like an egg. Bigger and square but the same idea. A low smoldering fire with smoldering chunks or chips and  a set if and forget it mentality. The KBQ is a stick burner. That's where you would notice the difference in flavor. You don't get the true stick burner flavor from a choked down fire with smoldering chunks
    I only run my backwoods fat boy as a stick burner it has only been used with charcoal once in over 2 years.
    I may have to try running spits in my Humphrey's weeble. I hope it works out. I would like to runs strictly wood when I have the time. Thanks for the idea. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sancho65 said:
    @HeavyG Could you please post a picture of the way you raised your KBQ? I thought the unit sits a bit low and I am considering raising mine and looking for ideas. Thanks in advance. 

Here is my "Silver Surfer" KBQ setup...

This is the table I modified:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007LQH86/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

used these casters:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OM52EOO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Slide out shelves:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SOYK8G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The control box is stored in this plastic toolbox:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055JDWEC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut the legs to a length that when the KBQ is bolted to the table would put the top of the firebox just below eye level. With this 4' table length I can open the door completely and it is supported by the table. I was considering a shorter table length but when I spoke with Bill at KBQ before buying mine and mentioned what I was thinking of doing to elevate the cooker he said that the door really needed to be fully supported when laid open otherwise it might rack the door hinge.

Being mounted as is on this table it is at a very comfortable height for me to use the KBQ. One of my knees is rather wonky and if I had to use it on the ground as it normally would be I would not have bought my KBQ. The table surface has also come in handy when using my other grills as it provides a convenient spot to place hot grids or just set trays, etc.

The table is fully exposed to the elements and has held up well. Only the tabletop is stainless but the chrome plating on the legs and shelf is good quality and is not  showing any rust. The sliding shelves were meant for indoor use in kitchen cabinets and the chrome plating is rather weak and is showing some rust. The sliding shelves aren't really necessary (tho they do make it easier for me to get/store the firebox) and if they get too rusty I'll just remove them.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• sancho65
    Options
    @HeavyG Thanks for the pictures and your much appreciated input. I have sent you a PM.
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I ordered mine on Monday the 20th, FedEx dropped it off on the 23rd. I put it together on the 25th after donating blood. I am amazed with this thing, and haven't even used it yet! I need to go into the woods and find some good blowdown wood to get me started, I have plenty of standing oak, hickory and cherry to cut and season...
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • sancho65
    Options
    @rifrench I did two cooks on mine twice this weekend and it gets better every time I use it!! Post up some your pics of your cooks!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lit said:

I've seen all that but that is not what they are built to do
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX