Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oven or big green egg

I noticed a lot of people cook most foods in the bge instead of the oven. Is there a reason why?  I'm used to just making burgers, steaks, grilled chicken, pork, and ribs. That's about it. But, I see a lot of guys use the bge instead of their ovens for most cooks. I was just curious as to why you prefer the bge to your oven.  For example, Would making chili in the egg instead of the stove or oven give it a better taste?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    even with a self cleaning oven some foods can stink up an oven and house until that cleaning cycle is scheduled. Same way I prefer to limit my cooking on a stove when I can due to spatters. I'd rather keep those issues outside inside my BGEs and let an occasional clean burn clean up the messes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    The egg is an oven.  Lifestyle choice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    By oven, do you mean big timer box thingy in the kitchen?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The prior comments pretty much sum it up ! If I cook baked spuds on he egg storytelling the steaks and have a few beers SWMBO is happy. If she bakes the potatoes in the oven, and I just sit around drinking beer, I am not helping.it gives her a nice break from cooking while I am outdoors with beer,meat and flame ! What could be better ?
    It
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • bgebrent
    By oven, do you mean big timer box thingy in the kitchen?
    He does.  It's got a name somewhere on the front and knobs that control most functions.  I don't think it accepts an AR.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    What is this kitchen based box you speak of?  There is a hinged door cabinet in my kitchen that has a clock and some dials on it and it is useful for storing some stuff

Once you go Big Green Egg Baby you never go back!
  • Fat fingers, should be baking potatoes before grilling steaks, had a few barleypops today cooking a butt for 8 hours !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    The egg holds temps far better than the best oven. It also provides a far more moist environment. It's better for most things. 
  • Rad5
    Rad5 Posts: 35
    I live in FL. Id rather fire up the egg outside than crank up the oven inside and run the air more. 
    Orlando, FL 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    If you need to boil water use the kitchen timer box.  Supposedly the egg can't boil water, or so I read.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent

About to put these 2 8# butts in the oven for an overnight. 
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    I can honestly say I haven't touched our hot box in a year. Not sure it still works? I will use the Crock Pot, tho. This winter has been quite mild and the eggs have been getting used alot. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I like to sit outside with the fans on, or a fire going. Weather doesn't matter. Rain? Got a roof for that. 

Id rather enjoy the kids playing outside, music and a beer than muck up the kitchen if we don't have to. 

That said we cook inside yes, but if it can be done on an egg. We will try it. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    There is something about cookin over live fire and getting equal to better results than using the big clock inside.  Another reason is a lot of what I cook (wok) will funk the hell outta of a house, much better to do outside and fire makes it more of a challenge.  

Embrace the lifestyle!   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    You might get a different answer over on the big square cooking box forum. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    The oven was broke when we bought our house 6 years ago. I had an egg so I never got around to fixing it. I replaced the oven a year or so ago for my wife. I still haven't used it. I know how to get to 350 degrees in vent settings on my egg. The oven not so much. =)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    There is something about cookin over live fire and getting equal to better results than using the big clock inside.  Another reason is a lot of what I cook (wok) will funk the hell outta of a house, much better to do outside and fire makes it more of a challenge.  

Embrace the lifestyle!   
    Indeed. My house doesn't smell up from dinner. Bonus points. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I have tried, so hard, to make the egg an oven.
    After years of baking on it, it isn't.

If given the choice, the oven wins, hands down.  

You too, will get there some day, after the comedown. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited February 2017
    Focker said:

Hmmm... I disagree. Your oven thermometer is programmed to achieve a mean average at whatever temperature you set it to bake at. 500° means you're baking at 480° to 520° and over an hour your average temperature will be 500°.

if I set my BGE to cook at 500° and preheat it like I must my indoor oven... once I'm dialed in on 500° I'm going have about 5° variations in temperature over a 1 hour cook. 

You kitchen oven will have a 40° variation during a 1 hour cook. 

The BGE wins that battle every time...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    HogHeaven said:
    Focker said:

Hmmm... I disagree. Your oven thermometer is programmed to achieve a mean average at whatever temperature you set it to bake at. 500° means you're baking at 480° to 520° and over an hour your average temperature will be 500°.

if I set my BGE to cook at 500° and preheat it like I must my indoor oven... once I'm dialed in on 500° I'm going have about 5° variations in temperature over a 1 hour cook. 

Bingo.  I measured my stove, expensive kitchen aide, it had a +/- 30 deg swing.
  • 30 degrees is being generous. Mine had a 50 after Christmas.  One day something wouldn't cook and then a pizza would burn. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Our oven gets limited use since we got the egg, reheating stuff mainly. Nearly all actual cooking is on the Egg. Chilli on the Egg was really good too, the chilli takes up some smoke as well and is really good. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I bought a new stainless range when I remodeled in 2009.  It has never been cooked on - the gas isn't even turned on to it.  All meals cooked outside for me.  My way isn't for everyone, but it suits me.
    Phoenix 
  • Focker
    edited February 2017
    HogHeaven said:
    Focker said:

Could care less on swings.
    When I compare the end results of recipes done on each, the oven wins.

My green egg high was over some time ago.  I'm not a Swiss Army guy, I use the best tool for the job.

Bake an apple pie, or loaf of bread using the same recipe in each, and report back.  Hell even lasagna or mac n cheese, the browning is better in the oven.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Like folks here have indicated the BGE is a lifestyle choice. Cooking outside over coals is part of the experience. I'm moving even further into a wood fired oven but I won't tear my electric oven out of the kitchen in the house. I use it often when time and convenience matter. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Meat. Fire. Whiskey. Quiet.
    Couldn't have said it better.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • dfrelich
    dfrelich Posts: 104
    I use what's best for the job.  I've got sous vide into the mix now.  Lets not forget microwave. 
    X-Large & Large
    Frederick County, MD
  • Focker
    dfrelich said:
    I use what's best for the job.  I've got sous vide into the mix now.  Lets not forget microwave. 
    Head starting bacon, pepperoni, warming tortillas, precooking taters, I slum with the microwave...even boiled water.  =)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities