Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pizza Cook

Options
My wife and I will be baking a pizza for the first time in the egg(L). We are starting with Publix dough until we get the hang of it before making our own. We will top the pizza with pepperoni, mushrooms and onions. Do we need to pre-cook the mushrooms to get out some of the moisture before applying to the fire? Have read numerous post and feel comfortable about the cook just need suggestions for the mushroom so our pizza doesn't turn into a soggy mess.

Appreciate the help!!  
BGE: Large

Comments

• gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    I always cook mine some for just that reason. Otherwise they can make for a soggy pizza, if you use a lot.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    Options
    We always use baby bella mushrooms from the veggies area, not canned, so there's no moisture to worry about.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Saltygator11
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, the mushrooms used will be from the produce section. We will give it a whirl tonight, hopefully we will not have to resort to the sports bar near the house.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Put them on top of the cheese. Precook and blot with paper towel or let them sit on a towel for a bit to drain. Enjoy!
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    .. or you can microwave them
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • dgaddis1
    Options
    I've only done BGE pizza with the Publix dough so far, and I've tried a few different temperatures, and it seems to be happiest in the 400-500 range, and they take about 10mins. Go too hot and you burn the crust before you cook the toppings.  If you can elevate the stone up into the dome (a few inches above the gasket line) you'll get radiant heat off the dome to help cook the toppings and melt the cheese faster.

This is the last one we did.  It was most excellent.  

Before adding seasoning (Dizzy Pig Mediterranean-ish) and before cook

After adding fire and heat.

And here's a veggie mini-pizza (half the ball of dough) from a while back.

Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • dgaddis1
    Options
    Forgot to add, I've also converted to using the cheater method.  Assemble pizza on parchment paper, cut paper fairly closely around the pizza except for a pull-tab, and put it on the stone on the paper.  Makes it much easier to get it slid onto the peel and then off onto the stone.  I let it go for about 4mins and then remove the paper and let it finish directly on the stone.  

I can't tell any difference in taste vs cooking directly on the stone the whole time, but it's a lot easier to handle.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Saltygator11
    Options
    Wow, those look great. I like the idea of the parchment paper, I pray we are eating as good as you.
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I think many of the experienced pizza folks on here thumb their nose at parchment paper, but for those of us who don't have it mastered yet the parchment is an absolute godsend. There are many things that can go wrong when trying to egg a pizza, but parchment paper removes several of them and, for me, is not a detriment to the final product. Good luck!
    Stillwater, MN
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    It's a tool that works.  Who cares what others think about it if it gets you the results you want?  I know some thumb their noses at using AL foil when cooking ribs, but that doesn't stop others from doing it.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• HogHeaven
    Options
    Domino's bake pizza at 450° on a conveyer oven for 7 minutes. They use All Purpose flour. They do not pre cook their veggies.

I cook Neapolitan Pizza on my large BGE at 800° to 1000° for 90 to 120 seconds. I take the top vent off and control the baking temperature with just the bottom vent. I rise my pizza stone above the felt line a few inches because I want great airflow. 

I use "00" grade flour at about 60% hydration. 00 flour is processed to eliminate most of the natural sugar in the flour, so it won't burn at high temperatures.  I delay the fermentation in my fridge overnight to add flavor to the crust. 

No need to precook the veggies when you're cooking at 800 or 1000 degrees. 

This flour and technique was created in Italy to allow pizzaria's to cook pizza quickly and serve them quickly. 

Few cookers can get to 800° to 1000° to make this process happen. Brick Ovens and Kamado Ovens will work. 
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Parchment paper is impregnated by silicone.  Silicone may be good for some things but not in the food that I eat.  I'd rather experment with different dough recipes, techniques or temperatures than eat silicone.  But, that's just me! 
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I do not eat the parchment.  Try removing it before eating!

Silicone is very stable at the temps it is exposed to in this application. Silpats are my friend, if they cause problems, I'm in trouble.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Parchment is a great tool.  My go to.  Pull it after 3 minutes.  No problems.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Saltygator11
    Saltygator11 Posts: 8
    edited February 2017
    Options

Thank you for all of the input. Let the dough come to room temp in the bag for close to 2 hours, used a little flour to roll out 2 pies and baked at 450 on an elevated stone for 15 mins using parchment paper for the first go around. I feel comfortable enough on our next name to go straight on the stone.

George was anxious to get his share of the crust. 
  • Great result @saltygator11. I did pizzas last nights get, too. I also use the parchment paper and pull after 3-4 mins. I have used corn meal plenty but with one peel and multiple pizzas to cook, parchment makes sense to me. 
    Now to solve my overdone crust issue and I'll be eating as good as you!

I'm a father, husband and a veteran and I love food. Cooking it, thinking about it and eating it.

Equipment: Large BGE with KickAsh basket and SmokeWare SS Chimney cap

28 inch Blackstone griddle

Kenmore Gasser storage unit/overflow cooker

Click here to read more about my cooking adventure!

New Berlin, WI