Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spiedie

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today's Washington Post has an article in the Food section about a type of kebab I've never heard of before: spiedie. It's beef marinated for up to three days, grilled, and served on Italian bread. Apparently it's an upstate New York delicacy. The article, including some recipes is here: http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A63399-2001Jan15.html[p]I'm going to have to try this soon!
[ul][li]Spiedie Article[/ul]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BluesnBBQ,
    I was reading that this morning. Sounds like something to try.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    BluesnBBQ, I spend a considerable ampount of time in Westchester County, NY where a friend introduced me to the "Spiedie". It was so good that I bought a jar of the Spiedie sauce in New york to bring back south but have not tried it yet on the BGE. The other day I was walking thru my local Harris Teeter (where they no longer sell Maurice Bessinger's Pure Gold Barbeque Sauce but we won't go into that)and noticed that they now sell the same brand of speidie sauce that I purchased in New York.
    You know, this sounds like a job for mini-egg. I'm going to do it. Let us know how yours turns out.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Bill,[p]Tell us more about that spiedie sauce you picked up. I'd like to try these soon. The wife will be out of town for a week hooking up with kid in TX. I'll have plenty of time to do some experimental cooking and none of it will be low fat hehehe. Spiedies appear to be great for parties.[p]K~G

• BluesnBBQ,[p]There is also a restaurant review by jane and michael stern (roadfood) in the current issue of Gourmet Magazine (january 2001) about Sharkey's Bar and Grill, Binghamton, NY, the supposed home of spiedies. The article claims that Sharkey's is to Spiedies what Buffalos' Anchor Bar is to Buffalo chicken wings. It says that the bread for a spiedie should be bland, "The bread counts for little in the overall tase, but its blandness is a foil for the meat's zest." [p]I've never had a spiedie, but I'd sure like to try one.
  • Wise One
    KennyG, I'll get the name tonight and post it.

• GJ
    GJ Posts: 45
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Here is a spiedie recipe.[p]This is also the first time I have tried a url link so bear with me if it doesn't work.[p]
  • GJ
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Here is a spiedie recipe.[p]This is also the first time I have tried a url link so bear with me if it doesn't work.[p]
  • GJ
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I give up. Can someone tell me how I setup a URL link properly. In the meantime, you can cut and paste this link. http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/OUTDOOR_COOKING/Lamb_Spiedie_Recipes_by_Jan_B.html

• KennyG
    GJ,[p]Here you go. Maybe you forgot the link title[p]K~G

[ul][li]Spiedie recipe[/ul]
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Kennyg, here's anudder one..Do you suppose these will wipe out Squiddies in the Nor'East?? :-)
    Wonder how they will go with corn on da cob in Central USA.
    Heeeeeyaaaaa.
    C~W
    _______________________________________________[p]
    2 lb Meat - Beef, Lamb, & Pork
    [cubed]
    1 tbl Oregano
    1 tbl Onion [minced]
    2 tbl Vinegar
    1 fresh Lemon Juice
    6 tbl Olive or Salad Oil
    1 tsp Basil
    1 tsp Parsley
    1 tsp Fresh Mint
    1 tsp Garlic Salt
    Salt & Pepper [to taste] [p]Combine all and soak overnight. [ Best if a week ]
    Place meat cubes on skewer and cook on grill until brown.
    Serve on French or Italian bread or Hogie buns.
    NOTE: Substitute Chicken if unable to obtain lamb. [p]
    ENDICOTT, NEW YORK specialty
    GUTEN APPETIT ! [p][p][p][p]
    ' LaBamba '
    Return to index <recipe_index.html> [p]

• GJ, sure, its easy..just copy and past the website to the "Open Link Url" box down below, or type it in very carefully.
    Then be sure and fill in the second "Link Title" box with a title. You can type in anything there.
    Try it next time.
    C~W[p]

• KennyG
    Char-Woody,[p]A good lookin' recipe indeed. I plan on getting alot of mileage out of these. When Nature Boy starts playing around with the marinade ingredients and adds his unique oriental flair, the squid in his area might be given a reprieve.[p]K

• Char-Woody
    KennyG, If'n I do em, I will have to make my own marinate. A gallon of that stuff plus shipping shot my cavalry out of the saddle. Holy Cow!!
    Whimpering C~W[p]

• Wise One
    Kennyg,
    I noticed that these recipes were not done especially for the BGE. What temp do you think we should use and how long should we let them cook? For these 3/4" to 1" cubes, I was thinking about 350 for 15 minutes. Your thoughts?

• KennyG
    Wise One,[p]Most consumer gassers can hit 500* or so and I would think the recipe might be optimized for the "masses". What I don't know is whether char marks are desirable. Your idea sounds like a good one but I think I'm going to try 500* in my first attempt and see what happens. Why don't we compare notes afterward? I can probably round up some neighbors to volunteer as tasters and then run several batches at different temps. I'm all excited about these, must be that Egg fever again.[p]Will start marinating a batch or beef/chicken cubes tonite for friday night.[p]K~G
  • Char-Woody
    one feral kat, I unferaled it fer ya..I hope.
    C~W

[ul][li]Da Feral Kats URL[/ul]
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Bill:[p]You can get all the Maurice's you want at a good Mexican grocery store at the corner of Buford Hwy and Chamblee Tucker. I don't subscribe to his views, but like the sauce.

• Wise One
    KennyG,
    the spiedie sauce I have is called "Salamida's Original State Fair Spiedie Sauce". It does not list any of the herbs other than to say "natural ingredients" but it does seem very much like the second recipe that was listed.