Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thinking outside the box, want to cook casseroles etc.

smokn gramma g
smokn gramma g Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I wanna cook casseroles, stuffed manicotti(seafood, mmm) etc, can I use my regular baking casserole dishes, or am I off to buy cast iron or ceramic?
Gayle

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    smokn gramma g,[p]A gramma without a cast iron skillet?...Sounds like an oxymoron.[p]Often times I use aluminum pans but when I feel a heavier cooking device is required I use Pyrex or a otherwise holding and baking dishes designated for BGE use. However, I always wrap the underside and sides with foil thus preserving the integrity of the appliance or holding unit.
  • BYC,
    Got all kinds of cast iron pans, but not because I am gramma! Gramma doesn't mean 80 years old any more!! This is the new world of kids having kids!![p]Any way, I do have cast iron, but was reluctent to use and reck them on the egg![p]So all I have to do is wrap them bottoms in foil!... Got it!
    Thank you for the info!

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    smokn gramma g,
    Tell me about it. My brother is a Grandpa (twice)at 45!!

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    smokn gramma g,[p] How do you wreak Cast Iron on the Egg??[p] I am 53 and have 7 grand children. Plus I am a grandpa with Cast Iron :)[p]
  • Celtic Wolf,
    LOL, gotta love it!

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    smokn gramma g,
    I have seen a number of posts with fine looking casseroles cooked in the disposable aluminum pans. [p]

• smokn gramma g,
    i've cooked the following in my egg from one time or another[p]lasagana
    souffles
    tortes
    stews (ox tail, osso bucco)
    soup
    mac and cheese
    manicotti
    pot roast
    chili[p]
    using a variety of stuff[p]cast iron
    le crueset
    stainless steel pots
    ceramics (souffle bowls)
    tin lined copper[p]if it went in your oven, it will go in your egg at similar temps ....[p]as far as "ruining" it, the only thing that will happen, if left uncovered (like the recommendation for foiling) is that it will get a layer of smoke on it, that depending on what kind of vessel it was, will take a little more or a little less elbow grease to remove. ... [p]go for it. . ..

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    smokn gramma g,
    i have used pyrex, corning, earthenware bean pots, cast iron, enamaleed cast iron and steel paella pans for casseroles. i think i remember someone also using the liner to a crock pot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it