Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Questions

Charly
Charly Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of adding a Mini to my Large and Small and I'm still unable to answer my wife's question of "why".She thinks I'm obsessed and might be right,it certainly has been addictive.I know portability has been mentioned as a plus from past posts and capacity a negative.I was told they cook at one temperature-HOT.A daisy is not an option on the Mini and I wanted to see if anyone has a jerry rig to control the temp. and if it's even possible to cook indirect in them.Any input will be as always,greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Charly,[p]I love my mini, however it is a companion to my medium. It's great for picnics, camping, and small cooks. I have even tries low-n-slow on it. It works, but is a challenge! The mini is great for steaks too![p]I don't think I answered you real question, but I love mine![p]Smokey
  • [img]Http://members.home.net/mhkitchens/images/BGE (blue) -Mini.jpg[/img]
    <p />Charly,[p]I use my Mini for small cooks for the wife and I. Have only used it for steaks and chicken. Did leg quarters tonight. Cooked on direct heat fliped after 15 mins on no skin side and 10 mins on skin side. Used mesquite chips and Cavenders Greek seasoning. Turned out great. Use less lump. Only used about a handfull in an hour cook. Also, have large for biger cooks.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    minicook.jpg
    <p />Charly,[p]The mini egg is great to travel with,this is a picture Kenny G posted for me of the mini loaded with 27 chicken wing drunetts in Florida last summer.If you look close you can see i have 2 grids in the mini and the other picture is the sliding top i made for the little guy,buy it,you won't be sorry.[p]Larry

[ul][li]Mini Hat[/ul]
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Charly, I don't know what I am talking about, so I will keep my remarks lengthy....
    In the discussions about the pros and cons of the daisy wheel, there is at least one member i recalled who basically said that a firebrick placed over the top of the egg works just as well as a daisy wheel and gives you the same level of control over your temp, with the only danger being that you forget the brick when you open the thing and crash! Seems like that would work with the mini.[p]Firebricks cost 50 cents or so, so I for one could live with the tragedy.

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Charly,[p]RhumAndJerk brought his mini to Atlanta Eggfest and did a rack of ribs by rolling them up and securing with skewers. He also brought the daisy from his small Egg to use on the mini. It looked a little big but worked just fine.[p]K~G

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    YB,
    Larry, I like the chimney damper you made for mini,what did you use? Will it also fit small?Also whats holding your thermometer off dome,pipe?Thanks, Bob

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Bamabob,[p]I made the sliding top for the mini out of a cap that protects the valve on a oxygen bottle and 1/4" plate steel,the cap was the only thing i could find that would fit tight.Under the thermeometer is a 3/4" PVC coupling with a fishing cork in it,i drilled a hole in the cork forced it in the coupling and painted it black,installed the thermometer and put the clip on the back side,works great and the probe is out of the way.[p]Larry