Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here it goes !! First leg of Lamb

Options
Hntnhrd
Hntnhrd Posts: 713
my buddy and his wife are coming for dinner tonight This is going to be an epic meal or an epic fail!! Either way I am all in!!All trimmed up and back in its little netting bag thing
Now it has a nice coating of code3spices Grunt Rub and a dusting of hardcorecarnivore black.

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    You just have to go for it!  =)

Post pics of the finished cook. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Lamb. So pretentious. Where does it get off not just calling it a lamb leg?

Good luck!

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Lamb. So pretentious. Where does it get off not just calling it a lamb leg?

Good luck!
    Not as pretentious as gigot d'agneau.  :) 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    I always pause at the leg of lamb while browsing the Costco meat zone but never pull the trigger.  How are you cooking this (temp / direct or indirect / etc), and yes please post pics of the finished cook.  Bet it will turn out great!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    What IT are you shooting for, @Hntnhrd?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You will enjoy this cook and the reward.  Have fun and good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    Time to take the edge off!!! 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great cook!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Looks great. Dang Afghans and their funky goat meat I ate day in and out for months on end turned me off to lamb. There is a smell that just gets to me. 

But I believe I could sit down to a plate of that. That sauce is a nice touch. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Time to take the edge off!!! 
    love this picture!  If you could've added just a bit of fill-flash (to light up the logo) it'd be perfect!
    Where do you live, @Hntnhrd ?  (and what the heck does your handle stand for?).  The sky, & mountain in the background, are beautiful.  :triumph:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    A great looking cook. Sadly, every time (both) I have attempted to cook lamb it has resulted in a mass coyote poisoning when I have had to throw it out. It really was that bad.
    It's either a cultivated taste or some sort of black art involved in the preparation and cooking that transforms it into something delicious. 
    I have been a miserable failure with it.
    Again, your's looks spectacular. 
  • Hntnhrd
    Options
    @Botch I was trying to capture the sun, Which we haven't seen in awhile coming thru. Your right though it needed some more light. Western Montana is home. Hntnhrd is the license plate on my truck ( hunting hard)lol. 
    I have had lamb maybe three times before this always had a "bite"  to it. This thing stunk bad when I took it out of the cryopack. Rinsed real well and took ALL the fat off of it and let it sit in the garage fridge on a rack for 24 hoursThouroughly rinsed the net bag thing As it stunk bad also. Before I seasoned there was no smell at all. Took about an hour and a half at 325 on the egg. Pulled it at 127 and it was great. Cut with a butter knife and no Gamey ( venison/ deer flavor at all. 
    Thanks for the kind words guys I was nervous about this one!!
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    Well it was a success!! Pulled it at 127 while we drinking a couple beers. Incredibly tender and no " gamey" flavors. Had loaded baked potatoes and fried green beans topped with a honey Bourbon Huckleberry sauce that is a modification of @Big_Green_Craig cranberry borbon sauce. Lamb is a definite do again cook!!!oh I even got the fork in there!!! 
    Love lamb and we had great lamb off the Egg too. 
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Looks great!