Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Filleting knife

My dad got me a leech lake filleting knife for my birthday!  My dad and I are taking my 3 year old icefishing tomorrow, hopefully my son gets a fish and I can fillet it.

Large BGE
BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited February 2017
    Leech Lake filet knifes are so COOL! I keep wanting to get one, but my cheap hand ground J. Marttiini keeps on slicing like a razor blade.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Nice! What lake are you going to?
  • RRP
    My regret is back when my wife and I were fishing 2 or 3 times a month that I never learned to filet like a pro. My buddy used to save everything legal that he caught no matter the size and fileted all of them!  And he got quite good at it! I instead was brought up to only keep the "keepers" and just dress them the traditional way of scaling, gutting and cutting off the heads. Nowadays I use my filet knife in the kitchen for pastry and farm raised meats. 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Ron - learning to filet is pretty darn easy.  Get out there, catch ya a couple buckets of bluegills or perch and get after it.

First cut, right behind the gill plate.
    Second  and third cuts, right down the back along the spine on either side of the dorsal fin.
    fourth and fifth cuts, flip it onto its side, work your way around the rib cage and voila.

When we were cleaning bucket loads of bass or walleye we would use electric knives - wicked fast.
  • I know of one for sale those interested

7" Filet knife. Handforged 1084 high carbon steel. Fully distal tapered down to the tip and beautifully upswept. This one is wearing Burlap Nickarta. This is the best custom Micarta on the market. Brass hardware holds it all together and a thermoform sheath will be included.
    Boom
  • RRP
    Ron - learning to filet is pretty darn easy.  Get out there, catch ya a couple buckets of bluegills or perch and get after it.

I was with you until you said "Get out there".  =)
  • RRP
    I know of one for sale those interested

7" Filet knife. Handforged 1084 high carbon steel. Fully distal tapered down to the tip and beautifully upswept. This one is wearing Burlap Nickarta. This is the best custom Micarta on the market. Brass hardware holds it all together and a thermoform sheath will be included.
    No thanks...I just know you bought that off Antique Road Show so I'd have to sell the car to buy it. 
  • Miked125 said:
    Nice! What lake are you going to?
    Headed to last mountain.  Heard it has been tough there this year but I want some jumbo perch.  I made the mistake of looking into flashers and now I want one sooo bad.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• @RRP I'm no pro and just like you I catch what I can eat for the day.  I hate frozen fish, it's fresh out of the lake for me or nothin.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    @RRP. I can just make you a filet knife if you want :)
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • RRP
    gmac said:
    Oh, I know you could! I'm just trying to decide if I really need to spend $120 on a Leech Lake filet knife that I may never even use but once or twice in my life. That's the trouble with getting older - with less time left a guy has to factor in time frames more than when you are younger!  :|
  • RRP
    RRP said:
    gmac said:
    Oh, I know you could! I'm just trying to decide if I really need to spend $120 on a Leech Lake filet knife that I may never even use but once or twice in my life. That's the trouble with getting older - with less time left a guy has to factor in time frames more than when you are younger!  :|
    Don't get me wrong - I don't feel like I have one foot in the grave! In fact I'm still looking ahead. In fact today I bought J C Penny stock as a hedge against my Sears stock. Iffin Sears goes belly up in the next few years as a retailer which it probably will then JCP will become the largest retail chain in most malls in the US. Hedge bets make me sleep better LOL!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Beautiful filet knife!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP said:
    I know of one for sale those interested

No thanks...I just know you bought that off Antique Road Show so I'd have to sell the car to buy it. 
    haha not quite. custom made and way outside of my price range too. 
    Boom
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RRP said:
    That's the trouble with getting older - with less time left a guy has to factor in time frames more than when you are younger!  :|
    Ron there is a ton of truth in the above. Most of my life if I wanted something I simply bought it without giving it a second thought. Now that I'm not so young, I often find myself weighing cost against estimated time left. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2017
    Happy Birthday big Al.  Cool gift, love the walnut.  Been lusting over a Hawkeye colored one, to pay homage to Cedar Rapids, for some time.  Fishlessman's green and black is really nice too. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    RRP said:
    gmac said:
    if your only going to use it once or twice...your going to cut yourself once or twice with a leech =)  these take some work to get used to them the way they sharpen them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    bigalsworth

how was the fishing. pulled in a nice brownie Saturday for 80 dollar pool money =)
    fukahwee maine

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    http://www.hossfilletknife.com/

depending on what and how much you fillet

• bigalsworth

how was the fishing. pulled in a nice brownie Saturday for 80 dollar pool money =)
    skunked both days, but they were not long days.  My son stepped in a hole the first hour on saturday, we confined him to the shack for as long as you could possibly confine a 3yo and then packed up and left.  We got about 3 hours in.  Sunday I just went out with my dad to a different lake and had no success.

I really really really, want a flasher now, something to tell me if I am wasting my time at that spot.  Hard to justify the $300-$700 for the few times I go out though.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited February 2017
    tz666 said:
    http://www.hossfilletknife.com/

depending on what and how much you fillet
    looks like I could just buy the blade and throw it in my sawzall
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    edited February 2017
    Focker said:
    Happy Birthday big Al.  Cool gift, love the walnut.  Been lusting over a Hawkeye colored one, to pay homage to Cedar Rapids, for some time.  Fishlessman's green and black is really nice too. 
    Thanks.  I was super pumped to use it on the weekend, but no luck.  I really like the walnut as well, I told my dad I had no preference on color and thats what he picked up.  The green and black is very nice, I also like the purple one.  Hell they are all really nice.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• fishlessman
    be really careful with the first few fillets, its not the slicing in that will get you, its pulling the knife out where the back edge bites you
    fukahwee maine

• be really careful with the first few fillets, its not the slicing in that will get you, its pulling the knife out where the back edge bites you
    good tip
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• Herky
    Herky Posts: 30
    I had one of those for quite awhile.  Great knife. I cut myself  with the back so often I decided to dull it.  I never used it anyway.

Ended up loosing on a trip to Vermilion a few years ago.