Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Super Bowl Chuck Roast

Options
Here is what I have going on today....saw a thread about chuck roast this week, and decided this would be my cook for today.  

This didn't start off the best...since I live in a small town....went to our local grocery stores yesterday looking for a 4-6 pound chuck roast for my cook.  Didn't have anything that big and I didn't feel like driving anywhere else, I had to improvise.  (Side note, i'm ready for 44 Farms to open their store front.)

The best i could do was a 2 pound Chuck Center Roast, and a 2.2 pound Chuck Under Blade Roast.  Got them home and rubbed them down with Stubbs Beef Rub, and put them back in the fridge

Cameron, TX   Large BGE, 36" Blackstone, Yoder 640 w/Comp Cart

Comments

• aggieljh
    aggieljh Posts: 24
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Got up this morning, and got the Big Green Egg going and threw in some hickory chips, and set the temp for 250 (this will be the first cook with the Flame Boss 200).  I let the temp stabilize, and threw the meat on about 11:00 and then went and got some breakfast tacos...

While we were eating, saw a video on Facebook about freezing some Coke and then using those Coke cubes in a blender with some Jack, to make a Jack and Coke slushy, so got home from lunch, checked the meat, and put some Coke cubes in the freezer.

Got out the veggies, and started to cut them up.  Went with three bell peppers, a big red onion, 6 cloves of garlic, one jalapeño, and since we don't eat a ton of spicy food, one poblano, instead of putting 3 jalapeños.  Not much of a Guinness drinker, so I opted for Shiner Bock instead.

About 1:30 today, the internal probe was about 160, so I pulled the meat off, and added it to the veggies and wrapped in foil, and back on the smoker it went...

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    That's coming along great!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looking good from here
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotwingking
    Options
    Looks good can't wait to see finished product 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Man it's lookin good!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • aggieljh
    Options
    I hit and IT of 215 about 3:30..so i pulled it off the heat to spread the meat

shredded the meat with a fork, and put it back in the juice and it went in the oven on warm until we are ready to eat later...hopefully it will cook some of the juice off, and if it doesn't I will just turn up the heat a little bit.

on a side note, I could definitely tell which piece of meat was the center roast and which was the under blade...the center roast pulled much easier.

to be continued...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nice work
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95