Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Use of v-rack large bge

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just received my v-rack and understand some would put a Boston Butt in the rack with it sitting in drip pan on top of grill. Also, that it may be inverted and used to q pork tenderloins and ribs. Would someone show me a pic of the use of this rack with the different cuts cooking, if available. If not, just tell me how to use it.[p]a new owner,[p]
Ray Price

Comments

• 63486.shtml
    <p />Ray Price,[p]Here's a boston butt

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    picnic2.jpg
    <p />Ray Price,[p]Here is a good example of the V rack in a drip pan which is on two or three firebricks. The bricks just keep the drippings from burning. This is a picnic roast going for 21 hrs.[p]Tim - my website has lots more pictures. http://www.tm52.com/bge
  • Tim M
    butt2.jpg
    <p />Ray Price,[p]Here is a boston butt on a second grid which is actually on the drip pan. This method works well and requires a Webber 18" (I think) grid with the handles on the sides. I have the drip pan on a couple firebricks again to avoid burnt drippings. This one went 18-20 hrs too. [p]Tim

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Tim M,
    Was this 2nd picture cooking indirect also (with your firebricks underneath)? If so, why didn't you set it up like in your first picture? Size limitations, dimensions, etc.? Just curious, as I'm fairly new too, and have yet to try a long cook with a butt, or other cut similar. Thanks!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Big Murth,
    I use a 14" deep dish pizza pan for a drip pan that hangs 1.5" below the cooking grid suspended by 3-2" angle brackets. No fire bricks just a v-rack which gives an indirect cooking setup. Proven sucessful method for over 23 years on the EGG.

• Tim M
    Big Murth,
    To simply answer your question - yes. Anything placed between your food and the fire will constitute "indirect cooking". A drip pan alone will provide indirect cooking but I sometimes use the firebricks under it to slow down the amount the drippings burn. [p]Check my website - lots of pictures there.
    http://www.tm52.com/bge/[p]Tim