Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium owners - nest question here

Options
greetings friends

our medium is ancient and has an old school nest that doesn't really fit it. It kind of squeezes awkwardly in the uprights, partially blocking the lower vent. And - most disturbingly - a screw that hold the nest together dead center that puts a massive pressure point on the bottom ceramic. 

Does anyone have this old nest and am I flirting with disaster here?
thanks

8-damien

Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    greetings friends

our medium is ancient and has an old school nest that doesn't really fit it. It kind of squeezes awkwardly in the uprights, partially blocking the lower vent. And - most disturbingly - a screw that hold the nest together dead center that puts a massive pressure point on the bottom ceramic. 

Does anyone have this old nest and am I flirting with disaster here?
    thanks

8-damien

Not sure what you mean by ancient, but I bought my medium in July, 2001 - does that compare? I recall I had to jockey mine so that the vent straddled the legs. That meant getting my wife to help me while I lifted and turned to finesse the position just right. As for a protruding bolt head yes mine did as well, but here 16 years later it hasn't caused a problem. That help relieve your concerns?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    BTW - here's a picture of that bolt head on mine - I recall being alarmed that it was destroying the bottom of my medium probably like you are, but 16 years later it still hasn't.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    @RRP thanks. I got mine at an estate sale. It doesn't have a vent screen and only a single function metal
    Top. ;)  but that bolt looks like bad news to me...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Found my pics of this....

Large BGE and Medium BGE

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    WOW! That's a piss poor design!

By a new gasket and layer it above the carriage bolt head?
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'd find a clinch type bolt with a low profile flat head to replace that round head. I'd also add a bolt on each of the four corners to stabilize the egg and to better distribute the load.