Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Milk Marinade.....

Options
Had a great discussion with a gentleman today about grilling and barbecue.  Mostly I listened and took as many mental notes as possible.  That said the topic of marinades came up.  My new friend shared with me his "secret" to preparing meats for his cooks.....Whole Milk!!  In full disclosure I've never heard of this method (I'm from and live in the north, my new friend lives outside of Memphis) and was instantly hooked on learning more.  Any and all info on this method of marinating meats and seafood would be great.  I've searched this site and googled milk marinades as well.  Buttermilk shows up with chicken.  Milk shows up with seafood and wild game.  Does anyone here use milk/buttermilk/coconut milk with beef, pork and seafood?  If so please share the details such as amount of milk used, any seasonings added, amount of marinade time or whatever else you use and/or would advise.  Thanks!!
Large BGE
Medium BGE
Thermoworks Billows/Signals, Thermapen One, Thermapen MK4
Large Adjustable Rig Combo
Bismarck, ND 

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Just for wild game and only if it was an old animal or was killed under stress and had a lot of adrenaline in its system...never seen anyone do it to beef. I'd be interested to see the logic behind it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Not in the context of marinades, but.... I was reading an article several months ago in which they were extolling the virtues of braising pork in milk. Apparently, some braise their ribs this way and the results are apparently good. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've done buttermilk pork loin several times. Turns out quite good. The buttermilk has to be real cultured buttermilk, w. live lactobacilli still in it. I don't have the recipe handy, but it was something like thin sliced loins in a 72 hours soak in the 'fridge, turning several times. The last day, salt and some nutmeg is added.

The bacteria ferment the meat, and the lactic acid tenderizes it. I recall that the calcium in the milk also changes the muscle fiber some.

Cooked the slices low and slow till they were just browned. Very tasty and tender.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    with greasy strong tasting fish, milk or half and half with enough lemon to make it curdle will remove the foul flavor. i do it with laketrout/togue for a couple hours before frying
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I use a milk soak for catfish and wild game in order to remove any possible gamey scent or taste. Works well for that as it seems to extract blood from the tissue.