Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two Tier Cooking gadget on Large BGE

Options
Hello Fellow Eggers,

I was just wondering if those fancy two tier cooking grids are worth the effort and really give extra cooking space for another rack of ribs.  Before parting with my hard earned benjamins I wanted to get some fine expert advice.  

Make America Grill Again!

James

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Or 2 extra racks of ribs if you get the right setup. they aren't any more effort. Just more money. I could do 3 racks at a time lying flat in my larges  but I don't do ribs in my egg anymore. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Any second (or more) grid is there for additional cooking real estate.  The after market toys (ceramic grill works) are top quality adds that will send the test of time.  You can easily make a home made raised second grid with three fire bricks and a second grid (Weber) or empty three canned beers and use those for support.  Others use bolts and washers with the second grid to get the elevation.
    Many options out there.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Note-in the above post it should refer to ceramic grill store, linked here:  
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  not the grill works.  Big error on my part.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Da Kine Green BBQ

I use a similar set up as in the link above.
    @Cen-Tex how are you cooking your ribs now?

Gerhard
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options
    I've purchased many toys for my S & L BGE and the AR from the ceramic grill store was probably my best investment.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    Da Kine Green BBQ

Gerhard
    He cooks them in his dishwasher now. He really enjoys the moist environment provided.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    gerhardk said:
    Da Kine Green BBQ

Gerhard
    He cooks them in his dishwasher now. He really enjoys the moist environment provided.
    The KBQ (aka dishwasher) is so moist it's like a sous vide smoker. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk