Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jambalaya in the new CI!

TideEggHead
TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
I've been wanting to make some jambalaya on the egg and finally got a lodge Dutch oven for Christmas! We decided to have some friends over and make some this Friday. I used the recipe on the BGE website but left out the beef and added smoked sausage, andouille, and chicken!

Followed the recipe and cooked most ingredients (meat, trinity, etc.)at 450 direct for about 10 minutes 
then added the rice and simmered at 350 for 25 minutes.

It came out great! Very moist, some of the best I've ever made. I also got to break in my new CI grate!

Happy New Years Eggers!
LBGE
AL

Comments

• Nice!  I could definitely go for some of that right now.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

Dang that looks tasty

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Looking good!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That looks wonderful. If I cooked all the great things that folks post here in a continous rotation it would take me two years to get around them all. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • That looks awesome!!  
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • TideEggHead
    Thanks Everyone!
    SciAggie said:
    That looks wonderful. If I cooked all the great things that folks post here in a continous rotation it would take me two years to get around them all. 
    Same here! My to cook list is constantly growing  =)
    LBGE
    AL
  • @TideEggHeadthis looks so good. I think I will make some for Mardi Gras!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Don't know how I missed this one. Lovely meal. Great work. 
  • TideEggHead
    @ShesGotEggs You definitely should. It's very easy!
    LBGE
    AL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    My BIL, would drive up from New Orleans, on Memorial Day Weekend, and Labor Day Weekend, every year, and together we would host a get-together for family and friends. The shrimp boils had grown in popularity, that required our street be blocked, by the city, due to the amount of folks that would participate.
    The prize cook was done in his cast iron cauldron. He would make about 20 pounds of jambalaya. It vanished as soon as it was ready to serve. He cooked it over the fire pit. It was my favorite dish he cooked. Typically he did 2-3 runs of this per day. 
    This meal you have posted, looks spectacular. I will be cooking this in the future, should we continue the tradition.
    Thank you for posting. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,023
    Looks terrific!  Been way too long since I've made it myself. Happy New Year back at ya!  
  • TideEggHead
    YukonRon said:
    My BIL, would drive up from New Orleans, on Memorial Day Weekend, and Labor Day Weekend, every year, and together we would host a get-together for family and friends. The shrimp boils had grown in popularity, that required our street be blocked, by the city, due to the amount of folks that would participate.
    The prize cook was done in his cast iron cauldron. He would make about 20 pounds of jambalaya. It vanished as soon as it was ready to serve. He cooked it over the fire pit. It was my favorite dish he cooked. Typically he did 2-3 runs of this per day. 
    This meal you have posted, looks spectacular. I will be cooking this in the future, should we continue the tradition.
    Thank you for posting. 

Sounds like a great time! I'll be on the lookout for pictures next time around! The whole cook took about 1 hour including egg prep and light up. Just beware if you use the BGE website recipe for the most part like I did, this will feed about 5 people comfortably. This was done in a 5 quart DO just FYI. I'll probably add shrimp next time!
    LBGE
    AL
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    looks great!  I love jambalaya
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner