Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Learning how to use my new Smokeware cap

EggHead_Bubba
EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
Guys, I was pretty good with the daisy wheel and now I'm learning how to dial in the temp with the new Smokeware cap I got for Christmas.

I have a large BGE and I'm looking for suggestions. After the BGE is up to about 200° I'd like to close the lower vent down to around 1/2" and then control the temp with only the Smokeware cap adjustment.

With that being said, any comments based from experience, as to what temp range I could achieve with only adjusting the Smokeware cap from barely open to wide open? I plan on doing some testing next weekend but I wanted to throw this out there and see what others have experienced. Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Half inch in the bottom for me is between 300-350 depending on the upper vent setting (Smokeware).

my method is to get within 50 degrees of desired temp with lower vent and then fine tune the top vent.

bottome vent controls the temp with fine adjustments from the top
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Get a Tip Top temperature controller ,find it on sale for$19.95 . Slide it in to bottom sleeve for Smokeware cap,dial in your temp and you are done . Really works well with smokeware and when it rains you can put smokeware cap over tip top . 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    sctdg said:
    Get a Tip Top temperature controller ,find it on sale for$19.95 . Slide it in to bottom sleeve for Smokeware cap,dial in your temp and you are done . Really works well with smokeware and when it rains you can put smokeware cap over tip top . 
    CRAP!!! Another gadget!!!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    sctdg said:
    One of many, Stache....one of many! (But who cares!!)
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • sctdg said:
    That looks VERY interesting. Would you mind posting a pic showing how it fits? Also, when using this, do you just leave the Smokeware cap adjusted to the most open setting? Is it good for maintainingg 250° or so for long cooks?

Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    warwoman said:
    sctdg said:
    One of many, Stache....one of many! (But who cares!!)
    My Weber Gasser is running out of storage space for all of the gadgets!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    edited January 2017
    It's a gadget that works. Only time I use Smokeware cap is if it is going to rain or snow and when you do that just leave cap in most open position . Oh yeah ,it is CHEAP and it works ,nothing like something that does what it is supposed to do continually for little money .
  • dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    That Tip Top gadget looks cool.....may have to get one of those....

As for the Smokeware cap, I really like mine.  I have found it is limiting in really high temps, with the cap on and open all the way my Large BGE won't go above 550*F.  But if you need to go higher just remove the cap.  Leave the bottom piece on, and don't forget it's hot if the Egg has been running for a little while!
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    When using the SmokeWare Cap for L&S I get the egg to 200 and start closing the vents and put the cap on.  If I want 225 or so I set both my vents around 1/8" to a 1/4" and let it stabilize.  It usually only takes a bout 20 minutes to stabilize, but I give it 30 to 45 to make sure.  I also use a dual temp gauge and I go by the temp on the grate more then the one on the egg.  It gives me a better idea of what temp for the meat will go.  When doing night cooks lately when it got really cold, the temp would drop to about 200.  So I would open the vents up about another 1/8 to 1/4 more to bring it back up.  I found it has been easier to use cap then the DW.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • When using the SmokeWare Cap for L&S I get the egg to 200 and start closing the vents and put the cap on.  If I want 225 or so I set both my vents around 1/8" to a 1/4" and let it stabilize.  It usually only takes a bout 20 minutes to stabilize, but I give it 30 to 45 to make sure.  I also use a dual temp gauge and I go by the temp on the grate more then the one on the egg.  It gives me a better idea of what temp for the meat will go.  When doing night cooks lately when it got really cold, the temp would drop to about 200.  So I would open the vents up about another 1/8 to 1/4 more to bring it back up.  I found it has been easier to use cap then the DW.
    ^^^^ This, also I just jive better with the SW cap ... seems to work better for me.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    When using the SmokeWare Cap for L&S I get the egg to 200 and start closing the vents and put the cap on.  If I want 225 or so I set both my vents around 1/8" to a 1/4" and let it stabilize.  It usually only takes a bout 20 minutes to stabilize, but I give it 30 to 45 to make sure.  I also use a dual temp gauge and I go by the temp on the grate more then the one on the egg.  It gives me a better idea of what temp for the meat will go.  When doing night cooks lately when it got really cold, the temp would drop to about 200.  So I would open the vents up about another 1/8 to 1/4 more to bring it back up.  I found it has been easier to use cap then the DW.
    ^^^^ This, also I just jive better with the SW cap ... seems to work better for me.

I like that it's a lot easier to see.  I don't have great lighting around my Egg, and do a lot of cooking in the dark, and when it's dark out it's hard to see the dark hole/opening on the jet-black daisy wheel.  Much easier to see the dark hole/opening on the silver smokeware cap.

I also like that it doesn't move when opening the Egg, without having to align the pivot.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks