Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

50th Anniversary Dinner - need your wisdom

gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Well, since my wife's brother is a useless tool, we are going to be hosting a party for my wife's parents 50th (he is 30 mins away, we are 2 hrs). 
So I need to do something for 15,people that is worthy of an event of this magnitude. I'm not sure brisket is the right thing so I'm looking at getting a big prime rib Monday and giving it 2+ weeks to age but these people all like their beef dried out and ruined (well done) so maybe a whole tenderloin would be better. I'm at a loss for what to do. Help. 
Plus I need sides and everything else. It's on Jan 28. 3 weeks to make magic. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Don't bring your girlfriend.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Billy Grill Eggster
    Billy Grill Eggster Posts: 404
    edited January 2017
    Brisket, it will travel well in a warmed up cooler.  It would be a logistics nightmare trying to do a rib roast or tenderloin (cook for two hours trip? ?).
    Maybe mac&cheese for one side and baked beans. both could travel precooked and go into a waiting oven.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Tenderloin. Easy cook, and delicious. No need for prime. 

Ina Garten has an awesome mashed potatoes recipe you make the day before and heat up before serving. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gmac
    Sorry, to clarify. They are all coming to my house so no transport is required. 
    And @Ozzie_Isaac no girlfriend. I keep asking but the Mrs says no. 
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558

I did a big beef tenderloin (7 lbs.) for Christmas. We had 11 people and it was just enough, no leftovers, so you may need two smaller tenderloins for 15 people. You could cook it early and FTC it for the 2 hour ride. I wouldn’t cook it much beyond medium, because there will be some carry over cooking.

I used this recipe: https://cookingquest.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/whole-beef-tenderloin-with-honey-and-worcestershire-crust/  it was outstanding! The recipe is a little complicated, but well worth the effort.  

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    edited January 2017
    Does it have to be only beef?  If so and given the well-done preference I would lean to the tenderloin as it will survive that treatment better than a roast. 
    Another option is a beef wellington and @JustineCaseyFeldown is quite an expert on that front.  Hopefully he will be along.  
    Edit:I note that you will be hosting so no travel for you.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
     blind99 said:
    Don't bring your girlfriend.
    You'd have to be nuts to want a girlfriend in addition to a wife. 

This is what I always tell my wife. =)
  • gmac
    lousubcap said:
    Does it have to be only beef?  If so and given the well-done preference I would lean to the tenderloin as it will survive that treatment better than a roast. 
    Another option is a beef wellington and @JustineCaseyFeldown is quite an expert on that front.  Hopefully he will be along.  
    Edit:I note that you will be hosting so no travel for you.
    These people are crazy fussy and have no imagination...  For example, they only buy chicken breast, won't eat dark meat (and that's the best part), only buy eye of round roast, nothing else. Crazy city folk. 
    Wellington is a nice idea though. Hmmm...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Are any of @YukonRon petite meat destroying neighbors coming over?  If so plan for more.   I think prime rib or tenderloin roast are in order.  Creamed Spinach and a nice potato dish would be a good side.   I like provoleta as an appetizer but you need to serve it as an added in seats appetizer.   This is what I did for Xmas dinner at my house and it was nice.  Best with a sharp provolone.  Tell that tool brother in law of your to pony up for some sides or some good wine/booze for the evening .  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • stantrb
    stantrb Posts: 156
    edited January 2017
    I would make a pork loin porchetta and serve it with aged Tuscan wine.  Feeds a crowd, easy, totally cool, very memorable.  Serve it with a cauliflower/mascarpone/nutmeg puree pretending to be smooth mashed potatoes.  You'd blow their minds.
    Minimax and a wood-fired oven.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I would keep it simple and elegant.  Given your guests preference for ruined beef, I'd second the beef tenderloin.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gmac said:
    my wife's brother is a useless tool
    This should be crocheted on a pillow. 

I did these a few a few months back and they were amazing and fairly light. 

I used @bgebrent s Rosemary garlic bacon recipe, then made a sheet of polenta cake and cut small cookie cutter circles out of them. Then I used a goat cheese cream cheese mix, blackberry BBQ sauce and a blackberry garnish. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198019/bacon-weekend#latest

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    I have become real partial to
    ny strip cut 3 inches thick . Can cook them to different temps for people that like their beef ruined. Thissize feeds four people each with sides

• gmac
    So is there any benefit to buying a tenderloin this weekend and aging it for a couple weeks?  @JustineCaseyFeldown @bgebrent @Little Steven?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    gmac said:

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    gmac said:
    So is there any benefit to buying a tenderloin this weekend and aging it for a couple weeks?  @JustineCaseyFeldown @bgebrent @Little Steven?
    Not really in my opinion.  You have a lean cut that your crowd wants overdone.  No benefit from a dry age here.  You could set it out overnight but that's all I'd do.  Be too easy to get too much jerky rather than tender tenderloin.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Tenderloin doesn't have a lot of fat and no cap so if you age go with a wet age.  Do you have a sous vide?you can get theirs cooked without being shoe leather... I would probably do some kind of sauce to add moisture and make it something special. 

i would cut cut off a hunk for your crowd (before cooking) that doesn't like burnt beef. 

But for me- tenderloin doesn't have a lot of fat so it can dry out.  I would go with rib roast- more fat may keep it a little more moist plus the presentation is different and cool. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    gmac said:

My a$$ just fell off I laughed so hard   
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    gmac said:
    my wife's brother is a useless tool
    This should be crocheted on a pillow. 

I did these a few a few months back and they were amazing and fairly light. 

I used @bgebrent s Rosemary garlic bacon recipe, then made a sheet of polenta cake and cut small cookie cutter circles out of them. Then I used a goat cheese cream cheese mix, blackberry BBQ sauce and a blackberry garnish. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198019/bacon-weekend#latest
    Oh snap! Want! 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    We went to Ruth Chris for my folks 50th and enjoyed the service and time with family.
    Worth every penny. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • gmac
    Good @Dobie @Dobie but the closest one is back by the brother in laws and we're not gonna make it easy for him.
  • Dobie
    edited January 2017

gmac said:
    Good @Dobie @Dobie but the closest one is back by the brother in laws and we're not gonna make it easy for him.
    Understand, just saying sometimes for these big milestones it's better to let someone else well qualified to handle it so family can just enjoy the moment. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • gmac
    Dobie said:

gmac said:
    Understand, just saying sometimes for these big milestones it's better to let someone else well qualified to handle it so family can just enjoy the moment. 
    You saying I'm not well qualified ???  :)
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    gmac said:
    Well, since my wife's brother is a useless tool, we are going to be hosting a party for my wife's parents 50th (he is 30 mins away, we are 2 hrs). 
    So I need to do something for 15,people that is worthy of an event of this magnitude. I'm not sure brisket is the right thing so I'm looking at getting a big prime rib Monday and giving it 2+ weeks to age but these people all like their beef dried out and ruined (well done) so maybe a whole tenderloin would be better. I'm at a loss for what to do. Help. 
    Plus I need sides and everything else. It's on Jan 28. 3 weeks to make magic. 
    I have a few people in the family who insist on well done beef. Needless to say when they come over to eat, they get hot dogs and burgers. It would be a crime to waste good beef on them.
  • Just saw a post about Flannery Beef, why not order some dry aged steaks !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Dobie
    edited January 2017
    gmac said:
    Dobie said:

gmac said:
    You saying I'm not well qualified ???  :)
    Nope just saying it takes away from time with family doing the work. I do it routinely, but there are some big moments you just need to take the time to soak it all in. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Rather than overcooking a nicer cut of beef to suit their tastes, I would be very tempted to go the brisket route.
    Stillwater, MN
  • gmac
    Yeah. The Mrs is saying brisket too. She is often right. 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited January 2017
    If they only eat overcooked beef, then go with brisket. Doing a beef loin/tenderloin will just make you upset. Now if you go with a pork loin/tenderloin, then everyone could be happy. A regular pork loin is good. A stuffed pork loin is even better.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.