Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Picking up the 1st Egg in the morning

Hello Eggers... I'm new to the BGE.  I'm picking up my first egg in the morning.  Any tips for a NOOB striaght out of the gate.  I've been lurking on the forums for a while as I've made the decision to jump to the big leagues.  I look forward to learning from all the experienced folks on here's. Thanks in advance.  

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome and congrats on your new egg.

When you get it set up, I'd put in a few pounds of lump, light the top and play around with regulating it.  This will also help in burning out any funk from the factory/shipping.   At some point get it up to 400 or so. 

Remember it will heat up fast, but reducing temp...not so fast because of the thermal mass.

Anyway, after you burn up your starter lump, load it up with more and cook something.  Reason I suggest a small amount to start is to have your fire at the bottom so you clean it out well.

Have fun!

Just start cooking using your grilling experience and roasting/baking experience.  Peruse this forum searching for cooks you're interested in.  Ask specific questions and folks here will guess at best answers ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Congrats!! And welcome aboard.

As you learn how to regulate temp and egg your favorite proteins, remember to never push the egg when trying to move it. Pull it by the handle if you have to roll it around (assuming you have it in a nest).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Welcome to the forum, it is loaded with great  folks that are eggsperts on all things BGE and will do whatever it takes to help you out.
    You do know, with the purchase of the BGE, it was the least expensive part of owning the egg. You have just committed wallet genocide. Perish all thoughts on retirement.
    Have some fun, and post some of your cooks.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    I always wondered if there were any other boatswains mates in here,,  what's up where you at? Still on active duty?
    VA Beach
  • VB_egger said:
    I always wondered if there were any other boatswains mates in here,,  what's up where you at? Still on active duty?
    Still on active duty.... 20 Years in and ill stick around as long as they let me or I quit having fun.  Currently at the Naval Station on shore duty.  Did some time on 75 a few years ago.  
  • VB_egger
    edited January 2017
    sounds good man, I've been on here for almost two years, good ship. 
    VA Beach
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great avatar right there.  
    Lots of people willing to help on this forum.  You will quickly see that with most things BGE related there are many ways to get there.  Just pick one and go then adjust from there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

When you get it set up, I'd put in a few pounds of lump, light the top and play around with regulating it.  This will also help in burning out any funk from the factory/shipping.   At some point get it up to 400 or so. 

Remember it will heat up fast, but reducing temp...not so fast because of the thermal mass.

Anyway, after you burn up your starter lump, load it up with more and cook something.  Reason I suggest a small amount to start is to have your fire at the bottom so you clean it out well.

Have fun!

Did someone hack @nolaegghead?

Who is this guy?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Take a picture of it before the first lighting of the lump.  It will never be that pristine again, but that is a good thing!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • Congrats and welcome.  Don't forget to write down egg's ID number for warranty registration. After couple of cooks it will be difficult to read/locate them
    Bucks County, PA
    Minimax, XL, Flameboss 200, Roccbox

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Have fun!

Did someone hack @nolaegghead?

Who is this guy?
    Perhaps a New Years Resolution? Just kidding....wouldn't have him any other way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • @irbosnm8 Welcome Aboard.

(Hide your wallet)

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Welcome aboard. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• @NewbeeMinimax, one dealer told me the same thing about the numbers on all the different ceramic pieces. However, when I needed a part replaced the dealer I went to said that was not the case. I wonder what is the real story.
  • Welcome to the family @Irbosnm8!
    Nashville, TN

Medium BGE | Large BGE | Little Griddle | Kick Ash Basket | Looftlighter
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    A tip that has served me well : scan the sales receipt of your egg and save to your dropbox/Google Drive/etc. so you know exactly where it is if you need to make a warranty claim. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    caliking said:
    A tip that has served me well : scan the sales receipt of your egg and save to your dropbox/Google Drive/etc. so you know exactly where it is if you need to make a warranty claim. 
    +100 on this. I have a BGE folder on my Dropbox with recipes, owner's manuals, receipts, etc.  And not just your egg receipt - any receipt or document you want to save. So much easier than finding the paper copy. If you don't have a scanner, just snap a picture with your phone. :smiley:
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • If your lifting the top and the egg is around 400, remember to burp it first.  If you don't, you'll remember the second time.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    caliking said:
    +100 on this. I have a BGE folder on my Dropbox with recipes, owner's manuals, receipts, etc.  And not just your egg receipt - any receipt or document you want to save. So much easier than finding the paper copy. If you don't have a scanner, just snap a picture with your phone. :smiley:
    Also important because the ink on many receipts will fade away.  I recently had a bathroom mirror with a lifetime warranty that had the mirror slide (adhesive didn't hold).  Pulled the receipt from my files and the ink had faded away. (even though I could not see it with the naked eye, I could pull out the printing using my scanner after playing with all the various adjustments)
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• VB_egger
    What size did you pick? Which dealer?

I go through ray johnson's off of va beach blvd.  if you haven't notice the NEX at nob sells dizzy pig rubs, best price I've ever seen. 

The ace hardware off of kempsville rd carrier rock wood lump which is very high quality. 
    VA Beach
  • VB_egger said:
    What size did you pick? Which dealer?

I go through ray johnson's off of va beach blvd.  if you haven't notice the NEX at nob sells dizzy pig rubs, best price I've ever seen. 

The ace hardware off of kempsville rd carrier rock wood lump which is very high quality. 
    I went with the large w/ nest, mates and plate setter.  Had shopped Ray Johnsons, but went with Taylor's Do it.  They offered a better package.  

I'll have to check out the ACE. Thanks for the tip.  

And thanks to everyone for the insight.  I took pics as recommended and ran a half load of lump for about four hours.  Threw in some wings just because... they were an amazing impromptu meal.  Look forward to learning how to control temps and keep it steady.  
  • VB_egger
    @Irbosnm8, sending you a pm. 
    VA Beach
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Pics! Pics! Pics! Welcome aboard.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Welcome Aboard Boats!!  Enjoy the best food you'll ever have!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• Ive only had mine a year but from reading from others here you can bypass a lot of mistakes and go to amazing food quickly. Hopefully you love yours as much as we do. 
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Welcome! ANY thing you need to know is in this form...all you have to do is search and if reading doesn't answer your question, posting a question will get you many answers quickly from the Egg family...
  • Kjunbob
    Kjunbob Posts: 118
    Congrats and welcome.  Don't forget to write down egg's ID number for warranty registration. After couple of cooks it will be difficult to read/locate them
    Interesting.. I hadn't thought about that.  Where is the number located?
    Large Egg.  New Orleans Area
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Inside the dome. You will need it to register the warranty. Take pics of the numbers. Easier to store. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Eggs generally warmer toward the back, so place your meats appropriately i.e. Turkeys breast to front legs to back, thick end of rib slabs to the back, if doing multiple steaks and you know some want more done you get the picture :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf