Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Under Cabinet Lighting

Options
RedSkip
RedSkip Posts: 1,400
Looking to install some LED lighting under my cabinets, does anyone have any experience or recommendations?
Large BGE - McDonald, PA

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I love mine....purchased from Lowes, happy with product. Had an electrician install them. I did not run mine to a switch...if you do and have tile on wall....there is some risk. 

I turn mine on at each light....switch is easy to find without visual. I have a high / low feature....which is why I went the individual route. I am the main user....check with the wife (assuming you have one) as they may have a different opinion as you......bottom line, that is a key decision you will need to make. 

I turn the the lights on that are in areas I am preping, brewing etc. You can also switch individually... or a series, or all. Think it thru....it needs to work for you. Hope this helps.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options
    Phillips hue strip lights are a very easy, approachable, and able to be installed without much effort.

I love having the hue lights throughout my house. I have the strips set as bias lighting behind my tv but they could very easily be used for under cabinet lighting.

Brandon - Ohio

• rolltidesmoker
    Options
    When we redid our kitchen I used dekor lights led (deqkor lighting.com).  I did not plan ahead so I have to turn them on individually. I would get the remote option too. That said I like the lights 
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I did my own. Bought the 5050 led ribbon off eBay. Put in switches next to the plugs when we were redoing the counters and backsplash. Then put switched plugs in the cabinets. Bought laptop transformers to put in the cabinets to power the lights. It turned out awesome and I use them often. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    Options
    When we redid our kitchen I used dekor lights led (deqkor lighting.com).  I did not plan ahead so I have to turn them on individually. I would get the remote option too. That said I like the lights 
    Off topic, but that is a gorgeous kitchen!  Love the hood over the stove.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @northGAcock. What are the "risks" you speak of for running the wires through the walls?  I have a few extra outlets in the cabinets (microwave & spare) where I could plug them in, but interested in the outlet approach.

I just finished tiling my backsplash and wish I would have thought of the lighting before now, I could have run the wires myself prior to installing the backsplash.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @rolltidesmoker. I'll have to check that website, thanks!

Do you have a microwave?  Ours is above the stove so we can't have a hood, I like the detail work under the hood too!  Nice handy work.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Toxarch. Wish I had the forward thinking you did, just got finished tiling and the wire install would have been perfect timing for the cabinet lighting.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I love mine....purchased from Lowes, happy with product. Had an electrician install them. I did not run mine to a switch...if you do and have tile on wall....there is some risk. 

I turn mine on at each light....switch is easy to find without visual. I have a high / low feature....which is why I went the individual route. I am the main user....check with the wife (assuming you have one) as they may have a different opinion as you......bottom line, that is a key decision you will need to make. 

I turn the the lights on that are in areas I am preping, brewing etc. You can also switch individually... or a series, or all. Think it thru....it needs to work for you. Hope this helps.
    I too have LED from Lowes..love em! Sounds like ours are the same. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @piney @northGAcock. Do you recall the brand/model?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Utilitech 24in LED light bar 69.99 each they can be hooked together in tandem and also have 18in
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I used the legrand under cabinet system you can add on and build whatever you want into it. I moved all our plugs and switches into it so there's nothing in the backsplash they just mount under the cabinets. You can get lights and speakers and all sorts of crap.  http://www.legrand.us/adorne/products/under-cabinet-lighting-power.aspx
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Lit how do you jump from cabinet to cabinet?  Do the jumpers come in various lengths?
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Literally just finished the kitchen refresh- same cabnits and appliances, but new countertops and lighting. Heck, top pic you can see the calk gun I used tonight.... not crazy about the mosaic - I think it was too big, but she likes it so...... now I only have to get the pulls refinished.  
    But I digress.....

Under cabnit lighting - did myself. Easy. Here is a closeup and how it works:

How it ties in: Line voltage to a small transformer (blue toothpick put in front for scale) : 

Connect the output lines to low voltage 16g wire which fits into a track.  Then push the led lights in where you want. They self-pierce the wire and that is how they get power. You can put as many or few as you want. I did it all in one afternoon. For the below picture, the counter is 5 feet long and I used 4 lights:

Any questions? Ask away. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Lit
    Options
    You don't really jump you just build a whole system. You would buy a direct wire module that you wire to and buy the other pieces at the lengths you need to fit your cabinets. They plug into each other at the ends of each section and if you want a light in that section you buy a section with a module plug and get a single gang box to wire in for the switch. I just did sections on mine since I just wanted to get all the plugs out of my backsplash. This is my garbage disposal and sink light with a plug but you could do this with the same box with 1 switch and remove the plug and put one of their lights and the switch would control the light. I put a cap on the end but you can buy blanks to extend it or add other options they have docking stations and USB plugs and other crap. I just went really basic.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @northGAcock. What are the "risks" you speak of for running the wires through the walls?  I have a few extra outlets in the cabinets (microwave & spare) where I could plug them in, but interested in the outlet approach.

I just finished tiling my backsplash and wish I would have thought of the lighting before now, I could have run the wires myself prior to installing the backsplash.

The risk is breaking tile cutting in the additional switch boxes. If you did it yourself, and have extra matching tile, you minimize that risk. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RedSkip
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @Lit That's interesting concept.

@northGAcock I follow your thought on the potential risks.

@Sea2Ski  Where is the power input to the transformer?  Do you have the cable through a wall or running down the side of the wall to an outlet/switch?

Edit:  Nevermind, I see you brought the power from behind the refrigerator.  Does it run off 110V then transformer down?  Did you have to use an inline fuse?

Edit Again:  I assume the handle is to the refrigerator but on second glance it's probably a pantry door?  IDK, just made a poor assumption.

Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    Yes 110 in right to the transformer then the output lines to the low voltage line. (You were correct, that is my fridge.)
     In my case I had power there already which is operated on a switch.  If I did not already have it run already, I would have drilled a small hole in the back of the cabnit above the outlet, and fished a line down to it and get power from there, and tie in a switch.
    It really was a simple install.  I like this because you can tailor the amount of light on the same line in different spots. In my stove/sink picture, that is one single wire from above the stove to the right wall. I have 1 more light above the stove and sink than under the other cabinets to compensate for the height.  
    This system worked for me perfectly. Cost was not bad at all. I needed 3 transformers at $12-$13 each (3 walls), and each light I think was $2.  Wire and tracking was  minimal.  I got it all at a lighting store. 
    Large and MiniMax

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Go to the legrand website. They have a design help tool that shows different wiring methods wit a wall switch/without.  U shaped, galley etc...

we looked hard at that system, ultimately didn't like the color and didn't think it was worth a grand just for the outlets without lights. 

Wound up with a single outlet from them for the microwave built in. 

Now if if I could only finish the backsplash.
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    A grand???   Wow.  Mine was somewhere about $200 if I recall properly. 
    Large and MiniMax

• RedSkip
    Options
    @theyolksonyou

Backsplash was my first time (above) and finished it in 4 days, with an "off" day yesterday.  Super simple, just take your time.  Cutting the tile was the worst part, but that's because of the saw I bought from Harbor Freight.  Went cheap and it had its moments for being difficult.  

Feel free red to reach out if you have questions once you decide to give it a shot.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • RedSkip
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I was thinking the system @Lit mentioned would be a little pricey with all the attachments and add ons.

Guess they call it Le"grand" for a reason...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Lit
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    @theyolksonyou I was thinking the system @Lit mentioned would be a little pricey with all the attachments and add ons.

Guess they call it Le"grand" for a reason...
    It is expensive but it allows you to do everything all in one. At the point you are with the back splash up it's not really worth it but I didn't want any plugs or switches in my back splash. If you have a plug you can just do a led light strip with a remote.
  • Lit
    edited December 2016
    Options
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I was following this until we hit the 1K mark for lighted cabinets?  Only on the eggheadforum. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    You might want to check, but I don't think that wiring to the pictured transformer is quite to electrical code.

Lighting can be expensive. My DIY route was like $60 for 60 feet of LEDs and maybe $40 for the 2 transformers. Well, plus switches and plugs.
    I can get some pics if needed.

@RedSkip, since you have a microwave and spare plug, you should look into Insteon controls. You can put in an Insteon plug or even and Insteon lamp plug. Then you can add an Insteon switch next to the main light switch (or anywhere you want). All you have to do is connect it to power and then easily program it to control that plug, or multiple plugs. The switch will control the plug remotely without any new wiring required. It might run you $125 or so for the switch and plug. There's a dozen ways to control that plug using Insteon controllers.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Literally just finished the kitchen refresh- same cabnits and appliances, but new countertops and lighting. Heck, top pic you can see the calk gun I used tonight.... not crazy about the mosaic - I think it was too big, but she likes it so...... now I only have to get the pulls refinished.  
    But I digress.....

Under cabnit lighting - did myself. Easy. Here is a closeup and how it works:

How it ties in: Line voltage to a small transformer (blue toothpick put in front for scale) : 

Connect the output lines to low voltage 16g wire which fits into a track.  Then push the led lights in where you want. They self-pierce the wire and that is how they get power. You can put as many or few as you want. I did it all in one afternoon. For the below picture, the counter is 5 feet long and I used 4 lights:

Any questions? Ask away. 

Sea2Ski nice looking work, I recommend that you put the LED driver and high voltage connections inside of an approved electrical box. In case of any overheating and possible shorts in high voltage wiring it contains it and helps prevent electrical fires. In fact that is the only reason the National Electrical Code requires boxes. I have seen those drivers get very hot and burn up.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Lit
    Options
    A cheap option is the peel and stick led strips. When I reframed my pantry I added a switch on the wall and a light in the top but the shelving blocked most of the light from getting down. I changed the box out to a plug and ran the led strips around the whole thing. I just left the string on with the remote and the switch controls them. It was like $50 and took like 10 minutes. 
  • RedSkip
    Options
    @Lit. Nice setup in that pantry, looks sharp with the lifts out and all lit up.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    edited December 2016
    Options
    When I did my under cabinet lighting I only wanted one switch with dimmer to turn on all of them. It would be a pain to turn individual lights or sections on. I used existing wall switch for dishwasher near sink for the lighting and added new box and switch under the sink for the dishwasher. That way you don't mess up your backsplash. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"