Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6.5 lb brisket flat..help

Options
Ok, bought a 6.5 lb flat from Sam's last night.  I have done 2 briskets in the past that didn't turn out great.  One was too dry, the other literally shredded instead of sliced.  I really want to do this one right.  I have a Flameboss .  I plan on putting the brisket on around 9 pm tonight, indirect, set at 225 and smoke with some mesquite.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as to how to make this one a success.  I don't plan on wrapping in foil later in the cook, unless someone thinks otherwise.  Should I set the meat temp for 200, or less?  Thanks in advance.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Flats are a bit of a challenge due to the relatively lean composition of the cut.  I don't have a controller but when all I could get were flats I would run around 250-260*F on the dome (LBGE) til the finish-line.  Planned for around 1.5+ hrs/lb but went with the feel.
    I would suggest that once you clear the stall and are in the high 180's, low 190's you give it an injection of some beef broth or worcestershire cut with some water to help with the moisture.  
    Give it a cooling rack rest when finished (around 15 minutes) and then FTC for a couple of hours.  Slice on demand and you should get a eggcellent outcome.  
    The search feature here will likely offer other approaches as well.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    I am no expert but I would think with just the flat you would want to wrap after the stall to keep more moisture in it. I like the injection idea also
  • Seapointbakers
    Seapointbakers Posts: 64
    edited December 2016
    Options

We borrowed from one of the posters in the past.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141803

We change this a little. The drip pan has the leftover injection along with apple juice and any beef stock that was left in the carton.We like to have the pan about 1/2 full. We dont spray with apple juice either. Sat foiled in a cooler for about an hour. Does sacrifice the bark but the meat is juicy and tender.

I don't use the Dizzy Dust, I use a rub i mix

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/4 sale

2tsp Chili powder

1Tbsp Garlic powder

2Tbsp Black Pepper

2Tbsp dried mustar

1Tbsp Cumin

2Tbsp paprika

1Tbsp onion powder

1/2 Tbsp cayenne