Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weed burner - best thing ever

Options
Holy crap. Picked one up today. Egg was running in about 5 seconds. Lol... and thats not a joke. This shouldnt be legal but thank god it is...  =)

Comments

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    Agreed - just got mine and love it. Have my 40# tank tucked behind the table and keep the burner right next to it for easy access. Has a nice long hose so I can just grab the burner without moving the tank.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Yes sir
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wait until you graduate to one of these:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tridogdude
    Options
    Been around weed burners my whole life but never would consider lighting the BGE with one. The amount of dust, soot and ash that a standard Bernzomatic throws out is bad enough, a weed burner would be brutal. Just MOH. 

Hey, if you and others like the results it gives, that's cool by me. Not bringing you down at all, but I would recommend a particle mask though if using a weed burner. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I light Two Larges and a Mini-Max with mine. The picture below is with some very bad expensive competition lump that isn't made anymore thank goodness. 
    M
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Chimney stove is $15 and newspaper is free. Way cheaper than a weed-burner. Load it, light it, and coals are 500+ in 5 minutes. For the Mini, I use a fire starter. Put a fire starter in, light it, place some lump over it, and in 5 minutes its ready to go.
  • dacolson
    Options
    just tried out my new Eggniter. Love it. No newspaper ash, no propane tanks.
    MN - Large Egg - Just getting started
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I love using it for the Large Egg. Still using Mapp for the Small and Mini...I won't ruin the handles just for my pyromania.
    Judy in San Diego
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I light Two Larges and a Mini-Max with mine. The picture below is with some very bad expensive competition lump that isn't made anymore thank goodness. 
    M
    OO :pensive:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wait until you graduate to one of these:

What could possibly go wrong?
    Options
    Been around weed burners my whole life but never would consider lighting the BGE with one. The amount of dust, soot and ash that a standard Bernzomatic throws out is bad enough, a weed burner would be brutal. Just MOH. 

Hey, if you and others like the results it gives, that's cool by me. Not bringing you down at all, but I would recommend a particle mask though if using a weed burner. 

I can see where some may have issues but I don't.  It all depends on how you use it. I never mash the trigger. I just adjust the flame to my liking and stick it in the egg. No dust, soot, or ash.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Mikee said:
    Chimney stove is $15 and newspaper is free. Way cheaper than a weed-burner. Load it, light it, and coals are 500+ in 5 minutes. For the Mini, I use a fire starter. Put a fire starter in, light it, place some lump over it, and in 5 minutes its ready to go.
    Man that $7 difference makes a big difference.  Lol.. 

Free newspaper?  I have to pay for mine to be delivered.  

I'd like to see a video of your process above. I don't believe either scenerio. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

@JohnInCarolina  When you're ready to upgrade to the XM42 give me a holler (I would say East Tennessee is a half way point, but I'm guessing the locals would SERIOUSLY frown upon a toy like this right now...)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    This is how the old timers did it. 

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    With that many sparks coming out I would start some sort of unintended fire, right? I am looking on amazon right now.....
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I use a plain old propane torch. It works great. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • cactus_darrell
    Options

I have a weed burner I have used for over 2 years on one tank of propane. It is very easy to  use and I never pull trigger just use the knob to set flame strength. I can light egg in less than 5 min. Mine came from Harbor Freight on sale like 15 bucks. love the igniter no need to look for matches

BGE, Treager LilTex, Terinan 48 SOB, Custom electric smoker, Weber kettle, Weber gas grill, Masterbuilt SS smoker, last but not least UDS

I've never meet a cow I didn't like, with a little salt and pepper.

Amarillo, Texas

• scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    I use a Harbor Freight heat gun that I probably paid $10 for 25 years ago.  Takes less than 5 minutes, uses maybe 1/2 cent in electricity and doesn't result in a sparkstorm.
  • cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Mikee said:

I was a chimney guy to but this is a great amount of fun and waaaay quicker. Plus it was only $20. Even if you dont light your charcoal with it, its an awesome thing to scare the crap out of everyone with. Haha... 
  • cheeaa
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    With that many sparks coming out I would start some sort of unintended fire, right? I am looking on amazon right now.....
    Lol... it very well could if not careful. Luckily, im smart and will only use mine on an old wood deck.  :o
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I think my egg table would be destroyed after the first time using a weed burner. At competitions you can hear dozens of weed burners firing up the stick burners in the middle of the night.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• lahlooha
    Options
    I use a weed burner too, never in full force though otherwise it throws up a ton of sparks. I have learned using it to light up lump from the previous cook. Lights up in seconds... then once they do, I dump new lump on top, works like a charm.

BGE XL
    36" Blackstone
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Only use mine to trim weeds around a garden fence, and melt snow and ice on my drive, if need be! Use a MAPP hand torch with a long hose for egg lighting....works great, but sure as hell shows you which lump sparks the worst!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • cheeaa
    Options
    At midnight im going to fire it up and run around the neighborhood in celebration. Wife isnt amused by this idea.  :s