Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump help

Options
Need help from the experts here on lump with least smoke. My wife doesn't like smoke on poultry and last turkey with  RO was to smokey for her. Also, thanks to all for all the great info and recipes i have learned over the last 6 mpnths. I am new to the forum, finally approved after 4 tries 
Boynton Beach, Fl

Comments

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    Options
    Definitely Rockwood
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Rockwood, FOGO or Basques maple
  • bigbadben
    Options
    Make sure you let the lump burn at the set temp for 30-45 min. Don't forget frequent clean burns and foil your platesetter to keep from burning old grease. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Rockwood is definitely a cleaner burn, and quickly. It's clean almost immediately. 
  • Action_Hank
    Options
    I usually use RO.  I was in a similar situation and switched Charbroil center cut for the last two turks.  Pricey, but seemed like less smoke. 
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  
    Sure wish the buffalo would stream-line the "approval process" for NEO's (New Egg Owners).
    Another endorsement for Rockwood.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jeponline
    Options
    Royal Oak has a smokey flavor to it even when you let it burn for a while.  Rockwood is definitely more neutral and food I cook with it is much more appreciated by my wife than food cooked with RO.
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    How does the Rockwood compare to the BGE brand. My wife would like less smoke from the charcoal too.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger BGE is just upsale Royal Oak. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    BGE lump is manufactured by Royal Oak and is private branded.  Thus all the above in reference to RO applies to BGE lump as well.  So, go with Rockwood for a more neutral smoke profile.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Rockwood is great for weeknight cooks. No need to wait for clear smoke. Once you hit your desired temp you can put your food on. Rockwood with the combination of a weed torch and you'll be cooking in minutes 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I'lll be looking  for  Rockwood source in Jacksonville. My girls aren't fans of the egg cooks as all they have know is propane grill cooks. The "charcoal" flavor of the food is new to them. 
    MiniMax 04/17

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I'lll be looking  for  Rockwood source in Jacksonville. My girls aren't fans of the egg cooks as all they have know is propane grill cooks. The "charcoal" flavor of the food is new to them. 
    Rockwood has a dealer locator on their site, or ask @NPHuskerFL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you can't find it in Jax your not looking hard enough. :wink:  All of the Hagan  Ace Hardware stores have it. Or FOGO at CR210 Pinch A Penny. Wicked Good at AA Bottled Gas. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SaintJohnsEgger -  check out firecraft.com; free shipping thru Dec 30th.  They carry Rockwood and can get you started if none available locally.  
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    If you can't find it in Jax your not looking hard enough. :wink:  All of the Hagan  Ace Hardware stores have it. Or FOGO at CR210 Pinch A Penny. Wicked Good at AA Bottled Gas. 

I checked the website for Ace but didn't see it. The San Jose store is just across Julington Creek from me so I'll drop by. Need to drop in for some wood chips too,
    MiniMax 04/17

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @SaintJohnsEgger -  check out firecraft.com; free shipping thru Dec 30th.  They carry Rockwood and can get you started if none available locally.  
    Thanks for the info. Truth is I really need to lay low for a few days (or weeks) after all the money I spent on Egg stuff this week. It was Christmas money but SWMBO doesn't see it that way.

I'm a consultant/freelance software developer and anytime I am between contracts she gets nervous about spending money. Got to cover the expense of my daughters moving out later this week  - not sure if that will cost me or save me money in the long run.  :)
    MiniMax 04/17

• dgordon2nc
    Options
    Definitely another rockwood fan here. My wife didn't like the strong smoky flavor from Bge or ro. Since converting to rockwood I haven't had any complaints. As others have said it's faster to temp and faster to burn off vocs. I also think the Kamado Joe brand is decent too and is in the less smoky category. The pieces were huge so it did take longer to temp. I found it at Costco during the roadshow and got two 20 lb bags for $40
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options

I checked the website for Ace but didn't see it. The San Jose store is just across Julington Creek from me so I'll drop by. Need to drop in for some wood chips too,
    Here's how to find RW at Ace: http://rockwoodcharcoal.com/ace-hardware/
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

That's our top selling location in all of Florida.....they'll definitely have it in stock.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    Rockwood hands down
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Rockwood hands down
    Yes Siree. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

If they do not have it in stock, they can always special order you some.  My local ACE does not stock it, but they get it for me in a few days from when I ask for it. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    for less smoke RockWood is definitely the way to go.
    LBGE circa 2016
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options

Wood Chips and more smokey flavor may not be the favorite or your crowd.  As has been stated several times... Rockwood or FOGO is the way to go for LESS SMOKEY! 
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options

That's our top selling location in all of Florida.....they'll definitely have it in stock.
    Thanks for that info.
    MiniMax 04/17

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Aww snap.  Lump talk and it's not even Friday 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Guess i better get rockwood. Hapyy wife happy egger.
    Boynton Beach, Fl
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I hate all you for being able to have Rockwood.....so my new personal favorite is Wicked Good Lump.

if you are looking for almost no smoke at all though, there is always Center Cut---and I am NOT being sarcastic!
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Grilltastic
    Options
    Thanks Tikigriller, what is the smoke profile for wicked good lump and where do you get it
    Boynton Beach, Fl