Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Brisket with Egg Smoke

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
Experimented on a 6 pound flat - prepared with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust coarse, vacuum sealed, 48 hours at 134 degrees in the Sous Vide Supreme, patted dry with paper towels, added a new layer of Dizzy Dust, smoked at 200 degrees for 3 hours, finished off in the oven under the broiler for 10 minutes.  No smoke ring but still smoky and came out extremely tender and juicy.  Going to try the point next but I'm not sure whether to up the sous vide temp or keep in the bath longer for more tissue breakdown.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• Med rare fork tender brisket. Love it
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • If you want a "smoke ring" you can add a little celery salt to the rub. You can use pink salt too but it's pretty easy to screw that up. Done it.
  • dlk7
    If you want a "smoke ring" you can add a little celery salt to the rub. You can use pink salt too but it's pretty easy to screw that up. Done it.
    Thanks - I'll give the celery salt a try.  Any suggestions on what temperature to sous vide the point?

Waunakee, WI

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Did you still probe for buttah feeling, or does this create a totally different finish time checks?
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • dlk7 said:
    If you want a "smoke ring" you can add a little celery salt to the rub. You can use pink salt too but it's pretty easy to screw that up. Done it.
    Thanks - I'll give the celery salt a try.  Any suggestions on what temperature to sous vide the point?
    Not from me. Never done just a point. I would check out the chef steps sous vide risked video. It's great. You should be able to pick up what you need from there. That rub is out of this world and they show you how to do the pink salt smoke ring too
  • dlk7
    Did you still probe for buttah feeling, or does this create a totally different finish time checks?
    That's a very good question and the answer is that I didn't check thinking 48 hours would have made it tender enough.  Since I was timing it for dinner I would have needed to let it go another 24 hours to be more tender for the next night's dinner.  I'm guessing I got lucky that 48 hours came out very tender.  May not work for a tougher brisket.

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7
    dlk7 said:
    Not from me. Never done just a point. I would check out the chef steps sous vide risked video. It's great. You should be able to pick up what you need from there. That rub is out of this world and they show you how to do the pink salt smoke ring too
    Thanks!!!

Waunakee, WI

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    dlk7 said:
    I'll vouch for this guy. That rub is the best I've had on brisket. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Just watched that chefsteps vid.
    That is some straight up, wicked a$$, voodoo magic on a cut. 

Anyone treat a SRF with the liquid smoke and pink salt bath?

Man Meathead couldn't get enough of that chit. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."