Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mustard suggestion

hounddog
hounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When slathering beef or pork with mustard, I have begun to chop finely one or two jalapenos into the cheapo mustard i am using about an hour before i apply it. The result is the same as with regular mustard, but you have an added tang on the crust. You can crank up the tang pretty high without affecting the sweetness and tenderness of the cut itself. [p]The baby didn't care for it, but I really like it, especially with pork.

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    hounddog, good suggestion.
    I usually add heat when desired by mixing 2/3 to 1/3 regular mustard and Jalepeno mustard. Puts some sparkle in the roast. Adjust to your own tastes..
    Happy Q to ya..!
    C~W[p]

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    hounddog, Up here in Canada some of the products that you folks take for granted are mighty hard to come by, ie Char Crust. I've found a store where I can get Zatarain's creole mustard and I am going nutso on that stuff (on jar #5 or so in the past year). Now, when I do a mustard slather, I've been using good old French's yellow. My question is, since most say the mustard just adds to the crust of meat, would use of this creole mustard add any flavour to the meat? You're saying jalapenos add a bite; would the creole flavour come through if I substitued Zatarain's for French's or am I throwing the extra $ onto the meat just to burn down to a crust without the addition of extra 'cajun flavour'? Your experiments/experiences/opinions appreciated..
    BBQfan1

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    BBQfan1,
    Save your money and use French's. If you want to kick it up use some hot sauce or red pepper seeds.

• BBQfan1
    JJ, Thanks for the money saving tip. Tapping into your experience here: how is that your rub can make such a diffence with its minimal amounts of a certain spice or herb, like 1 teaspoon savory etc can make a major difference in the end product, but the difference between French's mustard and a honey mustard or the Zatarain's creole mustard which is SLATHERED on the particular cut of meat affects less of a flavour difference in the end product? Weird science at work, or what? Your opinion?
    BBQfan1

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    hounddog,[p] Thanks for the heads up. I will try it soon, I have some jalapenos in the fridge at this time. I guess the longer you leave them in the hotter it should be, we'll see.[p]Earl
  • JJ
    BBQfan1,
    The name of the game is moderation!

• BBQfan1
    JJ, Agreed; but that is exactly what I was asking. How is it that a moderate amount of a particular spice/herb in a rub (or your rub in particular) can make a profound impact on the end result, while a flavoured mustard, which is literally slathered over the cut of meat, i.e French's vs any # of flavoured mustards, proves to be of little consequence?

• JJ
    BBQfan1,
    Frenchs is primarily vinegar which acts as of tenderizer. Other mustards use vinegar as a base but add additional ingredients to inhance there taste and flavor. Why use items that do do improve the flavor at an increased cost?

• hounddog,
    Frenches also makes bold and spicy mustard. May be this would work. I keep seeing these posts about mustard on ribs this just sounds horrible to a person who doesnt really like mustard , Do the ribs taste like mustard? Im a mauls barbeque fan. Mustard sounds Sort of wrong for rib? Uncle Dave

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    BBQfan1,
    JJ makes an important point about the vinegar. I know some mustards use wine, which would not give you the same acidity as the yellow. Like you, I like the flavor of those wonderful Canadian mustards you can get. I like to mix some of the gourmet stuff in with the yellow stuff....and maybe a teaspoon of citrus splash (more vinegar). [p]Man, I'm gettin hungry already.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • hounddog
    My experience is this: I can detect no difference between an expensive mustard and a cheapo mustard when slathering on a cut, therefore, I don't even pay the big money for French's. I get the CHEAP STUFF. [p]Furthermore, I have tried different flavored mustards and have noticed none of the flavorings except jalapeno, and with that only a little bit. So, as jalapenos are cheap, i hot up the cheap mustard with the cheap jalapenos. I could use hot sauce or something else, but I tend to enjoy jalapenos, so it is what i use
  • hounddog
    Try it. You will not taste mustard. I do not understand what exactly it does, I only understand that I like the result.[p]You will notice no difference between plain yellow and bold and spicy yellow. My experience is that the only way to make a difference is to make a taste that is so strong it would be unacceptable at table as a condiment.
  • hounddog
    actually, to be accurate, strong enough so that it would unacceptable to my wife at table as a condiment.[p]