Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kick Ash Basket for XL BGE

I purchased the Kick Ash Basket and am ready to install. Before I clean things up and install I have a question on should I remove the existing BGE coal grate or should I leave it installed and put the Kick Ash Basket over it?
XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 

Comments

• Definitly leave existing grate in. You will like the KAB. It makes clean out so much better.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    50-50 toss up topic here. I personally removed both of my coal grates and see no benefit in leaving them in. Point is either way your learning curve should be short, but to me I come up to temperature quicker without the "holy restriction" of a grate.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The grate will keep the KAB from warping on the XL 
  • sjm1027
    sjm1027 Posts: 154
    Did that actually happen to you?
    XL BGE ~ XL AR ~ XL WOO ~ 20" grate ~ 17.5" stone ~ slide guides ~ Oval grate ~ 18" drip pan ~ Thermapen MK4 ~ SmokeWare SS chimney cap ~ Weber blue tooth thermometer 
  • DoubleEgger
    sjm1027 said:
    Did that actually happen to you?
    No. I don't think a KAB is needed for the XL so I don't have one. Anytime that much heat is applied to metal that spans the width of the XL, it'll likely bow. 
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    I also just got an XL KAB.  I don't remember if I saw it on their website or on a card included w/ the KAB, but I'm sure I saw the company recommends leaving the grate in w/ the XL to keep it from warping.

Maybe it doesn't matter, but I did what they suggested and left it in.  Works great!  Now I'm figuring out what kind of tub/trashcan to use for dumping and holding the ashes.  Something to leave on the deck w/ the egg, with a lid to keep out the rain, and easy to carry.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • sjm1027
  • sjm1027
    So can you use these ashes in the garden?
  • DoubleEgger
    sjm1027 said:
    So can you use these ashes in the garden?
    Yes
  • DoubleEgger
    herbu said:
    I also just got an XL KAB.  I don't remember if I saw it on their website or on a card included w/ the KAB, but I'm sure I saw the company recommends leaving the grate in w/ the XL to keep it from warping.

Maybe it doesn't matter, but I did what they suggested and left it in.  Works great!  Now I'm figuring out what kind of tub/trashcan to use for dumping and holding the ashes.  Something to leave on the deck w/ the egg, with a lid to keep out the rain, and easy to carry.
    Get a metal trash can 
  • sjm1027
    I agree on your comment large span of metal and leaving the grate on. Makes perfect sense to me.  Thanks
  • RRP
    This 10 gallon can is just right for me. It isn't an eyesore sitting on my deck and holds plenty of ash and when the time comes to dump it it doesn't break my back trying to pick it up like a normal size trash can would. BTW this is my Large KAB.

• sjm1027
    RRP said:
    This 10 gallon can is just right for me. It isn't an eyesore sitting on my deck and holds plenty of ash and when the time comes to dump it it doesn't break my back trying to pick it up like a normal size trash can would. BTW this is my Large KAB.

RRP said:

What do you do with the ash? I was told to things, it's toxic and it's good for the garden. 

• DoubleEgger
    The ash can be used in the garden but it is an alkaline so keep it away from azaleas, rhododendrons etc. 
  • sjm1027
    The ash can be used in the garden but it is an alkaline so keep it away from azaleas, rhododendrons etc. 
    thanks
  • RRP
    sjm1027 said:

What do you do with the ash? I was told to things, it's toxic and it's good for the garden. 

I have a creek that runs 75 feet below the back of our home. About 20 feet down a huge maple was up rooted years ago leaving a large hole. I dump the ash in there and will never fill that hole in my lifetime!
  • sjm1027
    Let's hope you live to be 150 yeas old and you fill that bad boy in!!
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    leave the grate in.  my XL KAB warped in the middle.  still works fine.  for me the holes in the XL grate are really big (compared to my large) and the addition of the KAB lets plenty of airflow and keeps the lump from falling through as it burns
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • jbreed said:
    leave the grate in.  my XL KAB warped in the middle.  still works fine.  for me the holes in the XL grate are really big (compared to my large) and the addition of the KAB lets plenty of airflow and keeps the lump from falling through as it burns
    This is good to know. I replaced my grate before my Christmas Eve cook. This forum is definitely a wealth of information.
    Frank

XL BGE
    Spring Hill, FL
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    sjm1027 said:
    Thanks, but this can says, "Top Diameter Measures 10.2 Inches".  Not big enough.  But the idea is right.  I'm kinda wondering if I can find a low can.  Doesn't have to hold much, and lighter would be easier to carry off the deck to dump.

I have in mind something like this, (with a lid):

But short... like this:

Metal would be better.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I have the XL KAB and took the grate out and have had no issues.  Part of the reason I bought the KAB was because the grate spilt in half. 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE