Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Planks

GJ
GJ Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have come across a supply of about 50 cedar planks, all about 1 ft long. Can I use these for smoking purposes or should I limit them to cooking fish on or chicken.[p]Thanks...

Comments

• GJ,[p] Cedar is probably not good for smoking. Evergreens normally have gooey sap in them that gives ugly black smoke.
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    GJ,[p]As long as the wood is UNTREATED, you should be OK. I'm not sure about cedar for smoking however. I've done cedar plank salmon and found the wood taste to be a bit overwhelming. Not sure I could handle a low and slow entree smoked with cedar chips, JMHO[p]K~G[p]
  • hounddog
    hounddog Posts: 126
    Smoking with cedar yields nasty results.
    I had good enough sense not to try pine.
    Alder, though, is an evergreen, ain't it? So, I guess you never know till you try.
    I tried cedar.
    << -- still cleaning teeth from the experience.

• hounddog, we have lots of alder up in Alaska, it mostly grows as a small tree similar to willow, not an evergreen. And you and C-W are right, cedar is good for making canoes and little else, IMHO.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    KennyG, I have a wild duck recipe that calls for cooking on cedar plank. Actually it calls for discarding the duck and eating the cedar - apparently the pundit prefers that taste to that of the wild duck. :)

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    hounddog,
    Sorry I'm so far behind on my forumreaden',but saw something on boob tube couple of days ago on a "cookin'" show.The chef (hat and all) put two little hunks of fish on a little cedar board,set board on gas flame until board caught on fire,took it up still burning,put it in oven and roasted it awhile,took it out, put the little pieces of black fish on a plate,stuck a couple sprigs of parsley on it,drizzled some kinda sauce over fish and around plate;probly charged $50 (no hushpuppies).The reason we don't like cedar WE AIN"T GOT NO CULTURE!!!:~> Bob