Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE (user) Fails???

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Photobucket Pictures Images and Photos
    Was this a marinated cook?

There were watermelons involved. and rafts, and a 5 hour gap in time that I still do not recall
    Did that have anything to do with the time you called up the other John and told him to pick up a case of grapefruit, 2 handles of Titos, a roll of duct tape, at least 10 feet of garden hose, a megaphone, 1 mason jar, a gross of Popsicle sticks, a bird cage, snorkel and fins, but no mask, 4" flexible aluminum dryer duct, some Rutland gasket with a tube of Permatex (anything but gold, you said), 1 60 watt light bulb, a wooden crate from a turnip farm, green extension cord that's at least 14 gauge, two garden gnomes, one tube of anchovy paste, box of birthday candles, 6 old paperback books and a rusty trombone?
    Sounds familiar but you'll have to be more specific
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I might be confusing all this with something that Hunter S. Thompson may have done in Vegas.  Or it was at Salado or Brisket Camp.  I have some memory gaps that I can't seem to remember either.
    Options

If my dad had cooked with a thermometer he would have seen these numbers and let us know that dinner will be ready in 5 more minutes...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Early on, cooked a bunch of prime steaks for guests.. Too many on at once, cooled the egg, and I was waiting for a char, not looking at IT.  Overcooked every single one to well done ++.  
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    don't know who this was

Image result for big green egg broken

User was lowercase bill. And it was not user error, but a magical BGE design flaw. 

One of the reasons I hate to see eggs on decks (this was on concrete) or remote wifi monitoring. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    don't know who this was

User was lowercase bill. And it was not user error, but a magical BGE design flaw. 

One of the reasons I hate to see eggs on decks (this was on concrete) or remote wifi monitoring. 
    that old stand was basically a chiminea stand.  the chimineas had round bottoms which did not lower into the ring, but sat atop it.

put a BGE in it though, and the ring expands when hot.  the BGE drops slightly lower into it.  everything cools, and the BGE is wedged.

repeat a few times and the ring eventually makes a nice crack all the way around until the bottom drops out.

ooops
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Trombones can't rust.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Botch said:
    My advice is to not google this, ever.
    Options
    Botch said:
    My advice is to not google this, ever.
    I just asked Google to read me the responses. :smiley:
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Google is run by the russians.  I read about it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    don't know who this was

I think it was an old forum member Lowercasebill, BGE stopped making that stand for the Mini after a couple people had that happen to them. 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Was this a marinated cook?

There were watermelons involved. and rafts, and a 5 hour gap in time that I still do not recall
    Did that have anything to do with the time you called up the other John and told him to pick up a case of grapefruit, 2 handles of Titos, a roll of duct tape, at least 10 feet of garden hose, a megaphone, 1 mason jar, a gross of Popsicle sticks, a bird cage, snorkel and fins, but no mask, 4" flexible aluminum dryer duct, some Rutland gasket with a tube of Permatex (anything but gold, you said), 1 60 watt light bulb, a wooden crate from a turnip farm, green extension cord that's at least 14 gauge, two garden gnomes, one tube of anchovy paste, box of birthday candles, 6 old paperback books and a rusty trombone?
    Sounds familiar but you'll have to be more specific

And a donkey.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Image result for clerks movie donkey
    Options
    this is the funniest damn post I have ever read on here! 

For my escapades, I have burned hair (I'm bald now), burned my legs from flames out of the bottom (I think the pants made it worse), left butternut squash cooking overnight not once, but 4 different times (i hate those things).  Undercooked every cook for the first 2 months after I moved from FL to Denver (I still have most of my kids). Then there's - "Here, hold my beer"....
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • SurfsideMike
    Options
    Ha! Just checked back on this thread and glad to see it still going. Very entertaining stuff and I learned some things to look out for too.  Glad to see we can all look back and laugh about it now- except for the broken eggs- i'm sorry for your loss, my condolences. And thanks to all the regulars here for taking the time and sharing your tips and experiences throughout the forum. Great group here! - keep the stories coming!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    I had a fail on day 1. And to top it off, my wife was there telling me I told you so.

I unpack the egg, assemble it per instructions, and was happy to start my first cook. I load up the charcoal, light it, put on the firebox grate, put on the regular grate, and wait... why is the damn thing not coming up to temperature????

My wife is standing there telling me "you put the charcoal in the wrong place". I tell her "I got this, it's a grill, you think I never used one of these?" and she walks away.

A little googling, and a few hours later, o snap, the charcoal doesn't go in the airbox, it goes above the firebox grate....
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Lol!  Must be a band camp thing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    I haven't had an epic fail using the grill (yet).  I have however 3 different times cooked a pork loin and put it in the oven which is off - keep it warm, keep dogs from stealing off counter and forgot and left the damn thing in the oven.  One time it was probably 5 days before we used the oven and saw it.  

We actually bought a pyrex dish with a cover to solve this problem.  Cheaper than losing another pork loin
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I haven't had an epic fail using the grill (yet).  I have however 3 different times cooked a pork loin and put it in the oven which is off - keep it warm, keep dogs from stealing off counter and forgot and left the damn thing in the oven.  One time it was probably 5 days before we used the oven and saw it.  

We actually bought a pyrex dish with a cover to solve this problem.  Cheaper than losing another pork loin
    Didn't you wonder where dinner was?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    I had a fail on day 1. And to top it off, my wife was there telling me I told you so.

I unpack the egg, assemble it per instructions, and was happy to start my first cook. I load up the charcoal, light it, put on the firebox grate, put on the regular grate, and wait... why is the damn thing not coming up to temperature????

My wife is standing there telling me "you put the charcoal in the wrong place". I tell her "I got this, it's a grill, you think I never used one of these?" and she walks away.

A little googling, and a few hours later, o snap, the charcoal doesn't go in the airbox, it goes above the firebox grate....
    I'm not sure I would admit that in public, let alone on this forum. Glad you got it thought through quickly.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• ToTheMax
    ToTheMax Posts: 150
    Options
    ToTheMax said:

I'm not sure I would admit that in public, let alone on this forum. Glad you got it thought through quickly.
    I have thick skin, I don't really care, and after the fact I thought it was hilarious.

Add to it that I told my wife that on that little amount of charcoal the BGE can run for 24 hours, I read so on the internet, trust me!
    Northern Virginia
    LBGE ~'14
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    ToTheMax said:
    ToTheMax said:

I have thick skin, I don't really care, and after the fact I thought it was hilarious.

Add to it that I told my wife that on that little amount of charcoal the BGE can run for 24 hours, I read so on the internet, trust me!
    that is a lot of work to get the lump down there.