Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what was the top mounted temp controller called? not tip top temp but a different startup?

Options
Looking to see if it is still around and whether they are releasing another batch of them?

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Smobot. Coming soon to Kickstarter.

http://www.smobot.com/
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    I have had great luck with the tip top temp, it will hold the set point within (+/-) 6 degrees.  Best $20 I have ever spent on a grill related item.

The smobot looks to work on the same principal, I imagine the price point will be well over $20.....however, I love gadgets just like the next guy.  I will keep an eye on it to see how it unfolds.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    The Tip Top Temp really is a genius little, inexpensive device.

I think they'd be more popular if they charged two or three times their price cuz at just $20 I bet many folks think it is just a junky little toy. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I think they'd be more popular if they charged two or three times their price cuz at just $20 I bet many folks think it is just a junky little toy. :)
    I still wish there was a better way of keeping it in place other than gravity!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    RRP said:  
    Thanks for the reminder.  I had one and it worked well, but like Ron I wished it could be attached, but I now own a SmokeWare cap and believe the bottom half will hold it in place fine.  
    Next cook.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    RRP said:

I solved that problem with three small tabs attached with three pop rivets.  It now slips on and off just like the daisy wheel (originally I used a clamp, but that was overkill).

I will add a photo of my final solution to the thread I started about the topper.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:

It was originally intended to be used on Weber Smokey Mountains and Kettles (that's what I use mine on) and for those they work just fine resting on the surface of the lid.

Since not all kamados have the same diameter top vent it's not surprising that some tweaks may need to be made to suit a particular kamado. @dsleight solution seems to work well.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Here was my attempt using a ductwork step-down piece. Turned out to be a failure and saved the TT but trashed the ductwork!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Smobot. Coming soon to Kickstarter.

http://www.smobot.com/
    THAtS what i was looking for. Thanks @Heavyg!
  • reinhart36
    Options
    Thanks guys, and sorry for the prolonged absence.

I've been struggling to stay afloat chasing loose ends and supporting everyone who was gracious enough to play with the Beta prototypes.  More to follow, but I need to check in with moderators on what the rules are on discussing this now.  A hobby/fun project may be regarded differently when it shows up on kickstarter (coming in about 2 weeks, we hope)..  ;-)

I'll be in touch soon!

Kind regards,
    Eric
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I am ready to participate and help fund kickstarter!