Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The EGG has landed

Jo
Jo Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Everyone:
Thank you for your input. I just finished setting up the large egg on my patio. I got the daisy wheel top, the thermometer, a grill with a lifting edge so I could easily drop in more wood. I wanted the winged tables that go on the side but they didn't carry them. The little ash scoop didn't look big enough so I held on that. They didn't have an eggnest so I tried the wagon, the redwood table looks far to large. But the wagon won't work, not stable enough, so I'm dithering between the nest or the table, it's a hard decision![p]Anyway as extras I got some Obie-Cue rub and some books, Champion Barbecue, Smoke and Spice and the KCBS book (the large one with pictures), oh yeah and a new pair of birkenstocks. All in all I had a VERY good Sunday.[p]Now to try and figure out what will be the first thing on this grill!! The bad news is it's supposed to rain tomorrow, is it possible to barbecue in the rain, and no the patio isn't covered so I guess I have to wait this is so tough!![p]Thank you so much for your information.
Jo

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Jo, Rain...whats that?
    Kidding of course, and you must be in the deeeeeep south.
    I posted a tip some time ago..and I think it fell thru the cracks somewhere. Archives are hard to find these days. But anyhooooo..in your local home improvement center there is a section (usually) of heating and duct supplies. If you check around in there you may find a outdoor vent cap with the round domed top. Its made of a lower wide aluminum band with two straps to upper cap.
    Find one that will fit over your slider or daisy top and you have the perfect all weather dome top for the BGE.
    You can cut small slits in the lower band to adjust tightness for fit on the slider or daisy. Sound like your off to a good start..A wheeled sturdy table has my vote.
    Yell out if you need anything else and welcome to the forum.
    Char-Woody[p]

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Jo,
    Welcome aboard! I wasn't going to reply right now since i"ve been hogging post time,but since its so late you and are probably the only people awake in the world.
    The rain will only bother YOU,EGG will cook fine in any kind of weather. All them folk up north with eskimo blood have been cookin' in blizzards,snow banks any thing else that comes along.Don't know yet where you are located,hope its down south,cause we look at our brothers and sisters up north as a little "tetched" in the head,but we lovum' anyhow.
    Tomorrow about noon when the other EGGers finally get outta bed ,you'll get a lot of good advice and start on an unbelievable cooking adventure.Now get out in that rain and do your first of many masterpieces.CHEERS Bob

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Char-Woody,
    Hey my friend!, hope I didn't cut into your post to Jo,figured I was about only one up this late.If you see my earlier post,you're one that has meant a lot to me, your help and advice is appreciated.Hope we'll meet at an EGGfest sometime.NITE--Bob

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Bamabob, no problem my friend. You did good. Only cutting allowed is on a good steak...or roast. :-)
    G-nite
    C~W[p]

• Jo,[p]The ash tool is pretty valuable. It's perfectly configured to "pull" out ashes through the bottom vent between cooks. I also use it to knock off
    ashes from the lump charcoal left over from a previous cook. That last step - stirring the old ashes - helps out on a re-light. Have you got something that will work just as well?[p]Rain doesn't bother my egg once I've got the fire up and running, but I always that a good steady rain might harm the fire during start up. I have my egg in a nest I can roll into the garage to start up during a downpour. Once I have my fire lit, I put the daisy wheel on top and wheel the whole thing back out in the rain. No worries.

• Jo, Oh , there you are!....good, you made it!
    Sorry bout the e-mail, I didn`t see you here....[p]Just ask away! there are some top shelf people in here....cept for me.......I`m still a bottom dweller![p]Roger!

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Jo,[p] Glad you chose to go ceramic, you will love how things turn out. I have cooked in the rain many times with no effect on the Egg temp what so ever. This is one of the things that make it such an enjoyable thing to work with. It is all up to you on how far you wish to get into the grilling or smoking, whatever you want to try, either, jump in and ask or, tell us how things turned out.[p]Earl