Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doing my first brisket tmr

Options
Hello everyone. I'm doing my first brisket tmr .. I'm picking up a 5lb one on my way to work tonight. I told them not to cut all the fat off.
I'm thinking a 225 degrees smoke eith apple wood chunks and a new rub I just bought.
Plate setter on with water under the brisket .... correct ?
How long should thus take ? Cook to internal temp of 200 ?  Wrap with foil last part of cook?

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    5 Pound? must be a flat only?--Better the quality the quicker the cook-Is this Select choice or Prime?.....they can range from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours per LB...All in all they are done when they are done, cook to feel not time or temp---I always allow several hours on the safe side as they hold in a cooler well
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    No need for water or a water pan. It's not needed with the BGE and will only wreck your rub
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    5 Pound? must be a flat only?--Better the quality the quicker the cook-Is this Select choice or Prime?.....they can range from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours per LB...All in all they are done when they are done, cook to feel not time or temp---I always allow several hours on the safe side as they hold in a cooler well
    Yea I asked for a small one. I'm the only one eating it lol
    Figured I'd start small
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Ideally you want it to probe with your thermometer like going into warm butter.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I see a lot of "cook to feel" not time or temp. What does it supposed to feel like when it's done?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Probe Like Warm Buttah
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 36onslow
    Options
    Local meat shop. Cut it for me today
    First time ! Don't know much about it but I'm gonna give er a go Friday! 
    Forgot I had plans tmr
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    36onslow said: Yea I asked for a small one. I'm the only one eating it lol
    Figured I'd start small
    Dude you're set. Even if eating alone. Kegerator + Brisket = Man's Dinner
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    They spelled "Brisket" wrong....and, holy mother of Zeuss, where do you live?!  That's expensive!  Other than that, my advise is to probe it for buttery resistance to determine doneness.  Screw temperatures...that's for sissies.
    Options
    They spelled "Brisket" wrong....and, holy mother of Zeuss, where do you live?!  That's expensive!  Other than that, my advise is to probe it for buttery resistance to determine doneness.  Screw temperatures...that's for sissies.
    Yes they did spell it wrong lol doesn't matter it's going to taste great ... I hope
  • 36onslow
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nice work!
    Options
    1.) Nice looking raised grid.
    2.) Does that say $15.41 per pound? That is an expensive chunk of "BRISKETT". I usually get Prime ribeye for less than that.
    3.) Am I the only one trying to figure out what part of the brisket that is? That fat strip vertically through the meat looks odd to me. Maybe it will look right out of the package. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• 36onslow
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    2.) Does that say $15.41 per pound? That is an expensive chunk of "BRISKETT". I usually get Prime ribeye for less than that.
    3.) Am I the only one trying to figure out what part of the brisket that is? That fat strip vertically through the meat looks odd to me. Maybe it will look right out of the package. 
    They told meat it was from the "meatiest" part?
    Expensive when therr isn't many local Bucher shops around. NS Canada 
  • 36onslow
    Options
    I put on at 2 am ... it's now 9 am and has been at 142 since I checked at 7 am. Not sure how long before 7 am it was at 142.
    Wrap or leave alone ?
  • 36onslow
    Options
    Temp also dropped in dome to 205
    Trying now to get back up to 250
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    To warp or not-depends on why you think you need the process and of course, the wrapping material, butcher paper or foil.   Paper has become the latest material that generally gets used when the bark is at the desired color and texture.  Foil to speed along the cook to the finish-line but you will lose the bark texture (softens).
    Or you can run nekked to the finish.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 36onslow
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    To warp or not-depends on why you think you need the process and of course, the wrapping material, butcher paper or foil.   Paper has become the latest material that generally gets used when the bark is at the desired color and texture.  Foil to speed along the cook to the finish-line but you will lose the bark texture (softens).
    Or you can run nekked to the finish.  FWIW-
    Thanks
    The meat has actually dropped to 139
    Trying get get my temp back ... I'm at 230 now
    Hope I didn't spoil this.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,342
    Options
    You are fine as long as you go with the feel-not unusual for a drop when in the stall. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I doubt you want to wrap it at that low of a temp your bark most likely isn't ready. Do you have a photo of it? It looks like they did give you the meatiest part which is the flat but it's also the fastest to dry out. You probably want to foil that thing around 165 internal temp. Next time tell the butcher if he is going to cut it you want the point end he may give it to you cheaper and it's better for smoking.
  • 36onslow
    Options
    I'll probably foil at 165
    Temp in dome back to 250 and meat is up to 141
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    Digging that fridge!  Good luck on the brisket!  Going to jump in and cook one myself soon.
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Options
    Can I come and hang out with you?  A two tap kegerator?! #jealous
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • 36onslow
    Options
    1WVU said:
    Can I come and hang out with you?  A two tap kegerator?! #jealous
    I know what's good for me lol
  • 36onslow
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    Per kg not pound. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    So that is about $5.30 a lb, US.
    It does look fairly thick. Nice looking piece of protein.
    Just remember to let it rest up a bit before you slice it open.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @36onslow, sounds like you are good to go and it appears you have a point from all the fat that was on it and it should be ok to let ride or you could wrap.  I don't start probing till it gets to 195 and when it probes like butter I pull let rest for about 20 to 30 minutes and slice.  Should be good, enjoy.  Don't forget to post finish photos.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • 36onslow
    Options