Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss 200 to the rescue

Options
Another reason to own a FB200........company Christmas Party last night. Got home at midnight. Somehow managed to get outside to light the egg, was conscious long enough to set up the Fb200 and its settings, came back inside to allow it to settle in, suddenly, it was 4:45 AM. I suffered a time warp and got the butts on 3.5 hours late, but was able to stumble out to get them on at least. If I did not have the Fb200, I am confident we would be eating pizza instead of pork tonight. 

Two Butts smoking away, will throw a couple racks on this afternoon @mickey style for a big pork feast this evening with some of those infamous potatoes au gratin recipe!  

Heres the butts so far hanging out in the stall. More pics to follow. Forgot to put in a drip Pan. Still amazed I pulled it off. I remember nothing.  

Scared to to show up to work tomorrow to learn about the night. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,049
    Options
    Plug and play!!  Love my FB, especially for important cooks I don't feel like babysitting.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Good luck tiki. I'm sure both you and the Flameboss are up to the task. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    What time do we eat?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    I want to see the ribs!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    My FB 200 is the best accessory I have bought for my Egg.

It rocks! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    Wow. Lost my fire. Ran out of lump and it was filled into the fire ring!  Really surprised!  Just wrapped in foil, more lump on and cranking to 300 to speed things up. The ribs are in danger of getting over looked for dinner tonight or I may need to put them on the pellet. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Wow. Lost my fire. Ran out of lump and it was filled into the fire ring!  Really surprised!  Just wrapped in foil, more lump on and cranking to 300 to speed things up. The ribs are in danger of getting over looked for dinner tonight or I may need to put them on the pellet. 
    Wow! 

I have burned my XL for over 20 hours at 250 with a full load of lump. What temp were you running at?
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    Hmmm. I've also burned for 20+ hours. I'll be interested to see the results of the cook!
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I was only at 225. Have no idea why it burned so fast. BGE LUMP.   I added center cut char lump to get it going again since it seems to get going faster. 

Ribs and and potatoes are now on the pellet grill at 400. (That translates to about 375 as it always runs cooler the temp actually says.  One of the reasons I didn't like the pellet grill much, but am glad I have it right now). Mixed fruit pellets. 

Livermore, California
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Are you sure given the initial conditions that you loaded as much lump as you said you did? ;)  Never have heard of that consumption rate if the volume was right and the temps as mentioned. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tikigriller
    Options
    I was smart and did all that prep work before the party. 

I could have put more. But it still went through so much so fast. Now one thing is lets not forget, it sat out there burning lump with no meat for 4.5 hours before I regained consciousness to out the meat on. Perhaps that had something to do with it burning so fast?

Livermore, California
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,273
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Was that curious "time warp" in any way related to @YukonRon's bourbon slushies?
  • tikigriller
    Options
    One is done. Very moist even though the picture doesn't show it. 

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options
    Was that curious "time warp" in any way related to @YukonRon's bourbon slushies?
    Not yet!!!!!  Those are so coming though!!!!

Livermore, California
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    I'm at a loss.............I see no way that you could not get a a close to 20 hour plus burn from your Egg..................
  • tikigriller
    Options
    And the ribs. Lots of people showed up unannounced for dinner so pics are limited. Finished the in the egg. @mickey your method is meant for the egg. They were good, but not as good as when they came off the egg itself. 

Livermore, California
  • tikigriller
    Options

The second Butt. 

Livermore, California
  • Jameson19
    Options
    Great story! Any good stories about the aftermath of the work party? 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!