Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket help

Options
this is only my 3rd brisket (all flats)that I have tried but by far my best...problem I'm having is keeping it moist and juicy...for some reason it's just dry...any help is appreciated....my method...
indirect at 250...salt and pepper only...plate setter with water pan ontop of that and then grate...it was a 4# flat and I put it on at 10am....wrapped in foil at 3pm and IT temp was 155...pulled at 5:30 when IT temp was 200 and it probed like butter all over...kept wrapped in foil, placed in tray and draped a towel over the top...I placed it in the oven(not on but just to keep away from dog)...let rest for about 30 minutes then cut...looks amazing just dry

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The flat is a tough cut to get to come out moist without braising it the whole the cook. IMO.  Yours looks incredible but I have to wonder if carryover heat from not unwrapping and letting it rest for a bit actually put yours into the overdone category, although it does amazing.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Matt's right.  And flats are really hard to keep moist.  If you can get a hold of a full packer you'll have somewhat better results as the point "to some extent" protects the flat.  Totally off trajectory but flats make for some amazing corned beef if you like the stuff.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DesertSnow
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Matt's right.  And flats are really hard to keep moist.  If you can get a hold of a full packer you'll have somewhat better results as the point "to some extent" protects the flat.  Totally off trajectory but flats make for some amazing corned beef if you like the stuff.
    Iv already chopped most of it up for tacos and quesadillas so it's definitely not going to waste...for the flat part that's mostly what I see in the grocery stores around me so that's usually what I grab...have to try a whole packer sometime and see the results 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As mentioned by @Mattman3969- the carryover cooking was likely the culprit. And I am also with the above, looks like a great result.  Was it crumbly when slicing- as in dry or did that happen after?  Asking as it will dry before your eyes regardless of flat or packer so I hope people were queued up to inhale once sliced.  And nice smoke ring.

BTW- I have hosed up many a flat and a few packers but the cook is the best part of the brisket journey.  Just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Brisket Chili is a great option.    
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Next time, only cut what you intend to eat. The flat will dry out prematurely once it's all cut.

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• DesertSnow
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As mentioned by @Mattman3969- the carryover cooking was likely the culprit. And I am also with the above, looks like a great result.  Was it crumbly when slicing- as in dry or did that happen after?  Asking as it will dry before your eyes regardless of flat or packer so I hope people were queued up to inhale once sliced.  And nice smoke ring.

BTW- I have hosed up many a flat and a few packers but the cook is the best part of the brisket journey.  Just an opinion...
    It wasn't crumbly when slicing...sharp knife went through pretty easily..just trying to get the results I see on here and the YouTube videos I watch...and yes my mouth is currently burnt from the first few slices being inhaled
  • smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    I cook flats all the time but they are large and very high quality. Those always come out moist. However, you will be hard pressed to smoke a 4 Lb. one that does not come out dry if it is not prime Waygu.
  • blockmaster
    Options
    I cooked a 7.5# flat the other day and when I wrapped it in foil at internal temp of 160 i brushed on a little bit of apple juice (probably 1/4 of a cup).  Kept it going until it probed the way I like it, which was a internal temp of 196 and immediately wrapped in towel and placed in cooler for 2 hours.  Best flat yet and I think a big part of it was the size, some liquid in foil, and long rest period.  
    Dallas, TX - 1 Large BGE, 28in Blackstone
    Instagram - @jetcooks
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I do whole packers and hate doing flats. They always seem to be dryer. I inject with beef broth before, I spritz with apple juice/apple cider vinegar mix during, and I never wrap on the egg, only wrap in stick burners. Add liquid if it gets wrapped. Whole Packers come out awesome, flats are OK. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.