Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mac and cheese

Options
I'm looking at doing a smoked mac and cheese for a dinner. The thing is we are leaving our house around noon and won't be dinner till around 6.
Should I cooked for less time and put on the bbq at the dinner to cook longer or cook longer on the bge and wrap and put in a cooler till dinner. ( also don't wanna cook the pasta too long) 
Any suggestions

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I would definetly put it on for less time and then warm it up before dinner. No way it's going to stay warm for 6 hours like a butt could.

but if it does, it's definetly worth sharing...

(maybe it will if you put it in one of those really expensive yeti coolers... not that rtic cheap stuff... right @SGH??)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I vote for cooking it fully then FTC.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I'd partial cook for the smoke and then heat it up there. I agree that it won't stay hot enough in a cooler and there'd be over cooking and moisture loss.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• 36onslow
    36onslow Posts: 129
    Options
    Perhaps I should cook for 30 mins uncovered on the bge to get the smoke. Cover and put in the cooler then put on the bbq later (covered). Probably uncooked pasta too ?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I would do this:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1142142/smoked-mac-and-cheese/p1

Do the first stage where you smoke the cheese/milk/cream cheese.  Prep the mac and cheese and then cook it in the oven at your destination.  

One thing to add- you will definitely need to cook the noodles first but I would cook them al dente.  Probably a minute or two less than the stated cooking time on the box. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
     I've become a believer in Costco Mac n Cheese.  For Thanksgiving I cooked it 400 degrees indirect for 40 minutes the day before.  I add extra cheese on the top prior to foiling.  If you do, spray the foil with nonstick so the cheese doesn't stick when you remove it. I left it foiled, refrigerated and heated it for about 20 minutes @350 Thanksgiving Day. It was moist and cheesy. I had several ask for my recipe.  I told them it was a family secret.  If you should consider doing something like this for your dinner, you could carry it in the cooler, and reheat time would probably be less.  

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit