Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Funky Southwestern Turkey

JM3
JM3 Posts: 272
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was having a hankerin' for some turkey. So I bought a turkey breast at the grocery store the other day. I brined it in Emeril's Funky Southewestern Turkey Brine. I put it on the egg tonight at 225 with some cherry wood. I'll pull it at 160 and let it rest for a little bit. Should make some very good sandwiches.
I've done a turkey before (several times actually) but never at such a low temperature. I'm hoping it comes out ok and isn't too dry.
Anyone else out there ever cook a turkey like this?[p]Thanks,
John

Comments

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Hope this cook goes well....Please let us know how the Funky Brine works out and if it really enhanced the taste of the bird...My only concerned is cooking a poultry product at such a low temperature for an extended period.....I spatchcocked a turkey a few weeks ago....at 350 and it came out great...For me 225 seems really low.....as microbiotics are concerned!![p]Good luck and let us know how this rascal turns out!![p]Ed McLean....eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    JM3,
    i have smoked whole birds at those temps before, probably have done a hundred or so that way. the kosher style ones were always better than the unbrined fresh ones. they sometimes need to have the temps raised at the end of the cook to get the temps up, and they will have a lot more pink to the meat than what most are used too, especially near the bone. they have always come out moist for me, but the texture is different than a roasted bird. they make a great turkey salad cooked this way. havent tried it with a breast, and havent tried a slow cook turkey in the egg, it was always done on a metal smoker.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JM3
    JM3 Posts: 272
    JM3,[p]Well it came out excellent!!!!![p]It took over 5 hours to get to 160. I had to bump the temp up to 350 for the last hour to finish so I could go to bed.[p]I sliced some and brought it to work to hand out samples. It got rave reviews. Best I've ever had...[p]Also led me to a co-worker who has a BGE. He has been having issues so I'm going to take him under my wing. I took a pic of the turkey but haven't uploaded it yet. [p]The meat had a very pronounced smoke ring. Very pink but then white. Extremely juicy. The flavor of the smoke and brine were a great combination.[p]John
  • EdF
    EdF Posts: 121
    I've done it a few times at those kind of temps on a metal smoker as well. Came out great and noone got sick. Haven't tried it on the egg yet, but I wouldn't expect any problems. Given that you brined it, should come out plenty moist.