Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uncut filet mignon?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm not sure of the proper name for this foot long 3lb hunk of uncut filet. Chateaubriand? In any event, any advice on egging it? Time/temp, searing/no searing, etc. It's currently sitting in soy sauce and garlic awaiting instructions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    loin9.jpg
    <p />Bud Jones,[p]It's called a beef tenderloin. Are you wanting to cut it into 2" filet mignons or cook it whole or in half or thirds? Your choice. I do some in 2" filets and cut the rest into 1-2 lb sections for larger meals. [p]Filets = fast and hot 650-700 deg. Sear for 3-5 min per side and dwell until the internal temp you want. I do mine by searing until done but I like it seared really well outside and pink in the middle.[p]Tenderloin = 350 deg dome temp until done to 130-140 internal. I like to sear it first but that can be tricky since getting the Egg down from 600 to 350 is not easy or quick. Check http://www.tm52.com/bge for more pictures[p]Tim
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Bud Jones, I'd call it a beef tenderloin. Did one at Thanksgiving. About 350-400 like Tim says and turn quite frequently. I used char crust and it was great. Into your cook the meat might start falling apart, like into 2-3 pieces. This is a good sign that it should be very tender. The one I cooked was about 4 lbs. and took about 10 minutes for medium.
    Good luck,[p]CWM