Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef tenderloin or prime rib

Options
Just finished the Thanksgiving spread ... on to thinking about Christmas .... so which should I do for a party of 9 - 7 adults and 2 kids...it will be the first time I attempt either on the XL BGE

let me know 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Prime rib is probably more traditional, but my preference would be the tenderloin. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Prime rib is probably more traditional, but my preference would be the tenderloin. 
    That's what I was going to say. But I think we're in the minority. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    They're both easy and awesome.  I'd vote prime rib.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's what I was going to say. But I think we're in the minority. 
    I agree
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• kcw
    kcw Posts: 58
    Options
    Tenderloin for me.
  • J-dubya
    J-dubya Posts: 173
    Options
           PR is my absolute favorite cook, but I think tenderloin is a lot more crowd friendly due to the fact that you can cook it all the to medium and it will still be tender.   Plus there is a lot less fat/Grisel to work through 
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    Beef Tenderloin or Prime Rib?

YES!
    South SLO County
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Tenderloin. Everyone raves about prime rib, but to me it's just too darn fatty. Maybe if u did just the eye, but for my money it's tenderloin all the way. Reverse Sear with DP Cow Lick is amazing. Just 1 hunk of wood gives a nice light smoke too.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    That's  like choosing your favorite Victoria's Secret model. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    That's  like choosing your favorite Victoria's Secret model. 
    Yeah, but you know you have one. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Tenderloin. Everyone raves about prime rib, but to me it's just too darn fatty. Maybe if u did just the eye, but for my money it's tenderloin all the way. Reverse Sear with DP Cow Lick is amazing. Just 1 hunk of wood gives a nice light smoke too.
    Another reason to dry age prime rib

fat condenses considerably. None of that wet loose soft fat. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Tenderloin more crowd friendly. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Tenderloin more crowd friendly. 
    With the tapered shape of a tenderloin, where/how do you take the temp to know when to pull it?  I suppose it could be an advantage.  You could have the whole range from med to rare, and let the guests pick what they want.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @herbu depending on how long your loin is you may consider cutting in half to have more of the meat medium rare. The ends will always be more done than the middle 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Take the temp in the thickest part and ignore the thinner. 
    You'll have medium/med-well/well in the thinner end 

or

fold the thin end over and tie the whole thing to keep it round. It will cook more evenly. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Personally I vote for rib roast if cooking whole,  if I bought a whole beef tenderloin i'd cut it into 2 inch steaks 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    We chop off a chateaubriand style roast from the thickest part of the tenderloin. Then steaks, then tips from the thin end

if doing a wellington, i'll take the chain off it and part out a nice uniform length of it. Always more than enough for 6-8 adults
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    You could always do a good trip on a rib roast and get rid of the soft fat if that is your concern. I did just that on this whole roast. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I've always done prime rib, but this year I'm considering either ribeyes or tenderloin filets. Sous vide some of them to 125, some to 135, then BGE 'em on nuclear for a minute or two a side.

My issue with the prime rib is that I'm a medium rare, and everyone else is medium or medium well. So I'm always pulling the roast at my temp, and then running slices under the broiler for everyone else. Screw that, this year it's steaks.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ha....Horseradish / horseradish sauce goes well with both. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's my vote for tenderloin.
    I used to buy whole filets from Costco and cut them into steaks and freeze. Thinner ones for my wife and thicker for me. She always had some left over and since they were past medium, I didn't want to finish hers. So we had another couple over last night and I took a whole filet and cut a section that would give us each a 2" piece, knowing the ladys would only want a thin slice and us guys would get a thicker piece. Cooked at 300 on raised grid, had a CI griddle on the spider below. Pull at 110-115 and rested. Removed the grid and opened up the vent, got to 600 in a matter of minutes. Seared 90 seconds on each quarter turn (total of 6 minutes). Pulled and it was 125-130, tented and rested for 10 minutes.

I had seasoned with worcestershire sauce and my espresso-cocoa rub. After the rest, set it on a board sauce of EVOO, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Sliced two 3/4" pieces for the women and guys each got pieces over 3" thick. The result was no left over pieces and everything was a perfect medium rare. Personally I don't care much for filets, as they don't have much flavor, so we made a gorganzola cream sauce that was great and had some left over dressing and VI's jalapeno cream corn.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    fil.jpg113.5K
    fil3.jpg129.7K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    Options
    Here's a sauce for either one.

Mustard Horseradish Sauce:

• 1 1/2 cups good mayonnaise
    • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
    • 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
    • 1/3 cup sour cream
    • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Whisk together the mayonnaise, mustards, horseradish, sour cream, and salt in a small bowl.

We also use it on baked potatoes, asparagus, broccoli,etc.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    Options
    Here's the recipe for the espresso rub.

Here's my recipe;

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans 
    1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder 
    1 tsp. natural cocoa powder 
    1 tsp. granulated garlic 
    1/2 tsp. ground cumin 
    1/2 tsp. brown sugar 
    1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed 
    1/8 tsp. ground allspice 
    4 tsp. kosher salt 
    2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper 
    4 boneless rib eye steaks 1 1/2" thick 
    Directions
    rub 1 1/2 Tbs. of mixture all over each steak. Grill to desired doneness

Dizzy Pig also has one called Red Eye Express and it is quite good.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Edited for my own stupidity. Disregard.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • herbu
    herbu Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.  I've done whole ribeyes for years, but only thought about doing a tenderloin.  I suppose the trial is inevitable.
    Of all the lies I tell, "Just kidding" is my favorite.

XLBGE, Jordan Lake, NC
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Or, you know, beef weelington

perhaps the quintessential tenderloin treatment for Christmas dinner. 

And can be made up a couple days before the holiday. Not as hard as it looks, a crowd pleaser, and adds a lot of flavor to what is (let's admit) not the most flavorful.