Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison sausage???

Options
So I harvested a small deer this year and want to make my own venison sausage.  Any help would be great.  The main ? I have is....  I see people mixing venison and spices etc..  And then smoking to an internal temp of 165*.        Could u just freeze it after mixing and then cook when thoroughly when ready.
    If I bring it up to 165* it is then cooked so I freeze it and then just reheat it?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I have made and froze and cooked later worked out fine doesn't change anything.
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    Freeze fresh and cook as needed, or cook and freeze

either is fine, but i freeze most sausage fresh

since you can add smoke whenever you want, it's not much of a decision either way

some sausage, like kielabasa for example, is gently hot smoked until fully cooked. But again, gently. Not straight-up grilled. But more of a gentle slower hot smoke for flavor and color 

And then it can be fried, grilled quickly, eaten cold, whatever. But always with the smoke and color and texture from having been fully cooked and smoked

But if you are going to grill and smoke it anyway, each time you eat it, no need to hot smoke 

• Deviledegger
    Options
    Perfect.  Thanks again!
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    JustineCaseyFeldown Posts: 867
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'll add that i tend to avoid reheating as much as possible, because it gets drier each time

if there's a lot of fat, like there should be with kielbasa, you don't notice the drying out because the melted fat makes up for it

sausage, especially with lean meat like venison, really needs extra fat added
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There is a shop a few towns away that specializes in sausages made with unusual meats, like ostrich and alligator, but also venison. While they have switched to products more like snack sticks which are mixed w. beef, when they primarily sold sausages, the other meats were almost always mixed w. pork to add enough fat. They still sell a venison landjaeger which is half pork.