Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips & suggestions for Reverse searing 2" steaks

Options
Good day,

I'm planning to cook two 2" steaks (aguja norteña) along some pork belly and back ribs tonight.

Any tips or suggestions on cooking the steaks using the reverse sear method?

Haven't tried that cooking method...yet

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    What he said!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Sure. Looks like some good eats. Run your egg at 250F +/-.  Put your steaks on. They'll cook slower because of the low heat. Once you hit about 10 degrees of your target temp, pull the steak off and crank up your egg to 600F+ and sear the steak until you hit your final desired temp. You can sear using a cast iron skillet as well. If you're in a time pinch, sear on the stove. 
    I would add that the "front end" of the cook would be indirect (we cook at 300°), and the reverse sear done direct.  Great results.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• InfectedDAS
    Options
    Thanks!

I think ill go the CI skillet way.

• EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've never reversed seared. Always afraid of over cooking my meat. 
    My method.....
    crank egg up to nuclear with a cast iron skillet. Sear steaks 2 min on each side. Remove, bring pit temp down, let steaks rest about 15-20min then throw back on direct and cook to your liking. After my sears, my internal temp is around 100-110degrees. 
    I usually cook them until temp is around 125ish. Usually takes about 4-5min on each side. 
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    Options

XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited November 2016
    Options
    @EggHeadinFlorida - I thought as you did, but one day decided to give reverse sear a try, never looked back.

The main difference was not so much the end result, but the cooking process, getting the Egg up to searing temperature I find to be easier to control and predict than reducing it. It lead to more consistent results.

Here's how I do it => http://wp.me/p7qSlA-2YT ... which is pretty much how DoubleEgger described.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• InfectedDAS
    Options
    So... I did tried this technique following all advices last Friday, but couldn't upload photos because you shouldn't mix mezcal and whisky ever. 

And so on Thursday I ventured again, this time with no alcohol involved, well.... Not that much.

Also did cracklind rib eye (chicharron de rib eye), no pics of this though.

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Best method ever for steaks or pork chops.   For steaks, cook indirect at 250 until within 10 degrees of target temp.  Remove steak and let temperature in egg rise.  Some go 600 or so, but I never let it get that high.  Cook direct until target temperature is reached.  
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)