Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spider Use

Options
So I grabbed a spider specifically for the turkey and Thanksgiving. 

Besides the turkey and making cool videos of metal spiders running around my house, what other uses does one have for these spiders?
Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sear right above the coals.

Use a wok (yes, more stuff to buy, but you're close to the wok shop in Chinatown)
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    How does the spider work for a turkey?

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• Legume
    Options
    No idea really.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It holds a pizza stone below the standard cooking grid. This turns the Egg into indirect cooking similar to cooking in your oven.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Spider can be used inverted with the adjustable rig. It can be inverted and used as a riser to raise a pizza stone.
    When you see posts on this forum, look at the photos. Look at not only the food but look close at any photos showing the food on the Egg and the set up they use. I see things others do that I have never thought of.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • ThrillSeeker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    It holds a pizza stone below the standard cooking grid. This turns the Egg into indirect cooking similar to cooking in your oven.

Duh....I'm such a goober.  I'm not even gonna say what I was thinking.  LOL.

@tikigriller I have a PS Woo and I leave the spider in w/ a cast iron grate on it while I'm smoking my steaks indirectly.  Once they get within 15-20 degrees of desired temp, I take the PS Woo out, fire the grill up to nuclear for the sear and don't have to worry about fooling with grates.

Large BGE - Medium BGE - Too many accessories to name

Antioch, TN

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    Great for reverse searing and indirect cooking (turkey, etc.) using a stone. 

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I promised myself to follow the Mad max recipe for the turkey this year to the letter and it called for the spider, hence why I bought it. 

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • SoCalWJS
    SoCalWJS Posts: 407
    Options
    I like the spider with the small cast iron grid right above the coals for high temp searing. Also as others have said to hold a small pizza stone low in the BGE to create a larger indirect cooking area.
    South SLO County
  • Legume
    Options
    I promised myself to follow the Mad max recipe for the turkey this year to the letter and it called for the spider, hence why I bought it. 
    do you have a stone to put on the spider for indirect, or do you use a platesetter?  If you don't have the stone, you can either order one from CGS (it will get there on time) or just use your platesetter. 

turkey will sit a bit higher with a platesetter than with stone on a spider (unless you bought a woo, not just a spider).  confusing?  basically, you need to be able to go indirect and have a drip pan with an air gap beneath it. spider with stone achieves same as platesetter, but without raising the grid level.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    I have the stone. 

Livermore, California
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I have the AR for the Large BGE.  Adding the Spider and a small stone gives you extra room above to cook big meats, like pork butts on multiple racks or a large turkey, so they have plenty of clearance away from the dome. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I use my spider with my wok more than anything else I do with  it! With legs up that puts the wok closer to the coals and therefore a hotter cook. With legs down then heat is not as intense and makes woking easier and more relaxing of a cook to me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Spider with cgs stone is best indirect setup. Heres why...it lowers the grids thereby giving you more clearance below inner dome top.  If you domt have rig and extender setup (Large) get it. On xl the rig works awesome

Spider and stone replace platesetter.    Also you have incredible direct searing capability as noted above

I just got tqo woks and am excited to try them out with spider setups