Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Franklins... it's what's for dinner

brought a little something back from Austin. 

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great score.  Interesting that the lead re-heat instructions are for sous-vide.  First time I've seen that-definitely knows his clientele.  So how was the real thing live and in color?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    I will report my findings tomorrow. I'm sure it won't be even close to as good in person. Sadly again I had better while I was there. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    What was your favorite brisket while you were there?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• dgaddis1
    dgaddis1 Posts: 140
    We were in Austin a few weekends ago and didn't have time to go to Franklin's, but I got Aaron's book over the weekend and am halfway through it already.  He feels like a kindred spirit, his dedication to 'que, attention to detail, and 'only-the-best-will-do' approach to his craft are the exact same way I feel about my own business.  Much respect.
    Dustin - Macon, GA
    Southern Wheelworks 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    standing by
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Way to go...  It's worth it.

Spring "Been There Done That" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Thats pretty awesome they sell vac sealed briskets. Curious to see your results, you going sous vide?

On the other note: I had brisket at Terry Blacks and Valentinas while I was there (didnt have the luxury of waiting in line at Franklins this time). Blacks was good, but Valentinas was ridiculous, which made me think, is the extra time waiting for Franklins worth it? Granted there is the whole novelty and experience of waiting in the line I guess, but man I think it would be tough to beat the brisket I had at Valentinas. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • byrne092 said:
    Thats pretty awesome they sell vac sealed briskets. Curious to see your results, you going sous vide?

On the other note: I had brisket at Terry Blacks and Valentinas while I was there (didnt have the luxury of waiting in line at Franklins this time). Blacks was good, but Valentinas was ridiculous, which made me think, is the extra time waiting for Franklins worth it? Granted there is the whole novelty and experience of waiting in the line I guess, but man I think it would be tough to beat the brisket I had at Valentinas. 
    They are pretty close but Franklin's is probably a little better. I eat at Valentina's 10x for every time I eat at Franklin because I can eat in 15 minutes and it's almost as good. I always send out of towners to Valentina's so they can eat great bbq and get on with their day. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bhedges1987
    byrne092 said:

I don't think the extra time waiting is worth it.  10 min vs 4 hours.  Plus I liked Valentina's a smidge better.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    Will report my findings on the vac sealed brisket tonight.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    So... the vac sealed product is very similar to the product in store. Not quite as good, but almost.  I brought back one from La BBQ and one from Franklin, they were both great and very very similar. 

One thing it was good for was confirming what I have been cooking my briskets to "feel wise". 

I normally don't go by the probe feel, rather I pick it up in my hands.

I picked his up and immediately thought to myself  "this is perfect"

I also am curious if he in putting something else on it prior, like tender quick? There were some spots where the smoke ring was dark dark red and extremely huge. Just random spots kind of like what mine would look like back in the day when I used tender quick. 

It it was very good though, and worth it for anyone who is down there and doesn't want to wait in line or is in a time crunch or already ate there and wants to bring one back.

His quality of meat is for sure better than the prime from Costco. It tastes more like wagyu. Each bite I had juice just like almost exploding in my mouth it seemed lol. Them damn Texans and their prime beef is just about as good as wagyu. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Them damn Texans and their prime beef is just about as good as wagyu. 

He actually uses Creekstone beef from KS. You should be able to score some up there I would Imagine. I think they are out of Ark City
  • bhedges1987
    Them damn Texans and their prime beef is just about as good as wagyu. 

He actually uses Creekstone beef from KS. You should be able to score some up there I would Imagine. I think they are out of Ark City
    Oh man... I have heard of them for a while.  Never even looked into it though.  I will now.  Them damn Mid-westerns and their prime beef is just about as good as wagyu....

I will now take advantage of that :)

Thanks!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    ahhh it appears it's CAB

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• Them damn Texans and their prime beef is just about as good as wagyu. 

Oh man... I have heard of them for a while.  Never even looked into it though.  I will now.  Them damn Mid-westerns and their prime beef is just about as good as wagyu....

Thanks!
    It's the same price as SRF if you order online. You may be able to find some locally or pick it up to save shipping. $120 for a small up to $139 for a large
  • bhedges1987
    Thanks.  I myself or someone I know has to drive down to that area pretty often for work.  I will check it out.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SRF ships out of KC too! You are at ground zero for good brisket up there. 
  • bhedges1987
    Actually appears it's 139.99 for SRF 12-14 lb and 119.00 for creekstone 12-14lb.  So $20 cheaper.  You can always find free shipping for SRF though.  

I will give it a try next time I am down in that area and see how they are when I cook them.  Will pick up some ground beef too.

Thanks for the info.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• bhedges1987
    SRF ships out of KC too! You are at ground zero for good brisket up there. 
    LOL... WTF??? Seriously? Thought they were all shipped from Idaho?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SRF ships out of KC too! You are at ground zero for good brisket up there. 
    LOL... WTF??? Seriously? Thought they were all shipped from Idaho?
    They moved their shipping facility to KC a year ago so they could go with flat rate 2 day shipping to almost everywhere in the US. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    ^^^^^ this-as noted. All my SRF briskets are sourced from Kansas City.  And the 2 day is right on here in Louisville.  Thus the relative shipping cost decrease (since accounted for in the brisket increase) with their standard shipping.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Them damn Texans and their prime beef is just about as good as wagyu. 

Thanks!
    It's the same price as SRF if you order online. You may be able to find some locally or pick it up to save shipping. $120 for a small up to $139 for a large
    Creekstone shows free shipping.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com