Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Allow me to take you on a journey... (Long)

Options
So this small town Idaho boy married way up and out of his league (not only with the wife, but her amazing family as well) to a nice southern Texas girl. I some how managed to get roped into cooking a birthday dinner for my father in law. A Texan through and through so brisket was on the menu. I figured why not, another excuse to sit by the EGG, drink whiskey and watch football. 

Let the journey begin. 

My my wife wanted to do the dinner at her parents house...and wanted me to move the EGG up there so we didn't have to run back and forth to finish the menu. All of which is to be cooked on the EGG. Ok, I thought. Not a big deal. It needs to be fully cleaned out and the bands need adjusting anyway. I completely disassembled the EGG, moved it to the in laws and began putting it together last night. As I put the dome on and begin tightening the upper band I notice that the nut stops tightening about half way down the bolt. With the quick help of you guys, I figure out that the bolt is stripped. Not a good way to start. Not a lot of places open that are going to carry the necessary hardware for a quick replacement. The band is just tight enough where I feel comfortable to keep the party on track if I have someone hold the dome when I open it. The show is going on (against the advice of the little guy in my head).

2200 Friday night, I am getting ready to light the EGG in preparation of hoping to have a semi early dinner. In laws inform me that they really would like for me to start this in the morning. They live in a 55 and older community and don't want their neighbors to smell smoke in the middle of the night and call the fire department. 

I roll with it. So much for the early dinner. This cow should be done sometime next week. I get up at 0330 to get this thing started. Fire going, cow trimmed and rubbed. 

My sister in law is supposed to bring over a couple of racks of ribs, crab stuffed mushrooms and some ABT's for me to cook later. Father in law got some sausage to do as well. 

Where is all the help that I was going to receive this morning by waiting. That's right. Still snuggled up soundly in their beds. It's ok folks. I have the watch. 

So here's to strong coffee, good football, strong whiskey and hopefully an uneventful cook. 
Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Great start to a great day. Keep us updated! 

(And boy do I wish my Costco would carry prime packers. They only ever have choice flats. Anybody in northern NJ have a good place to get prime brisket?) 

Send pics of the finished product! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    We're hanging with ya!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Now that is going above and beyond.  You need to be appropriately rewarded after this banquet/birthday celebration is in the rear view mirror.  Racking up points left and right, right now.  Sounds like it's gonna be a fun day as long as someone decides to help you out.  Pace with the whiskey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Nothing better than that.  enjoy the ride!
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Now that is going above and beyond.  You need to be appropriately rewarded after this banquet/birthday celebration is in the rear view mirror.  Racking up points left and right, right now.  Sounds like it's gonna be a fun day as long as someone decides to help you out.  Pace with the whiskey.
    @lousubcap I am just trying not end up like @SGH and end up nekkid half way through this cook. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Battleborn -  given the setting that should be an absolute requirement   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Battleborn
    Options
    A couple of hours in from light off. Not a bad way to spend the morning with the beautiful Spring Mountians of Southern Nevada in the background. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Battleborn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Battleborn -  given the setting that should be an absolute requirement   =)
    I will at the very least try to keep the pants on. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    That's a gorgeous view. Watching patiently to see how this all plays out. I'm hoping for pictures of everything, even the apps. And happy B-day to your F-I-L. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Currently sitting about 190 IT. Still has a little way to go with the feel. Check it again at 200 IT. Surprisingly no real stall to speak of. About ready to throw some ribs on next. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Options
    Looking good- just be patient and wait for the feel-and if a small portion of the flat isn't there then just declare victory, give it a 20-25 minute cooling rack cool-down then FTC til the banquet. 
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Need more real estate for some ABT's and stuffed mushrooms. Time to fire up the Weber. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• PASmoke
    PASmoke Posts: 279
    Options
    Looking great so far.....Great post.....keep the updates coming! 
    Atlanta, GA - Large BGE x 2

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looks like it's coming right along.  Your In-laws have nice landscaping too.  The menu sounds like a winner.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Seafood stuffed mushrooms and jalapeños. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Battleborn -  I would venture that the very great majority of forum members cut their teeth on Webers- I am one and proud of it.  The kettle is an excellent cooking machine and can crank out great groceries.  At the end of the day if you can cook, you can figure out any cooking device.  
    Have fun and patience with the brown water.  ;)
  • Battleborn
    Options
    Right off the EGG. Forgot to take the point off early, so I will do so in a bit to make some burnt ends tomorrow. 
    Ribs were done in the Weber. Not as much pull back as normal, but they passed both the bend test and tooth pick test. Will report back on the taste results. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Options
    Not my cook and I'm not from Texas but I would just inhale the point and leave the burnt ends for a road trip to KC.  The best part of the brisket right there.  But we all know about opinions... ;)