Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Almonds

I wanted to try smoking some almonds (never tried it) to give as Christmas gifts this year and had some questions...

First, the only raw almonds I've been able to find around here go for $17/lb.  That's nuts!  (pun intended)  I looked on Amazon.com and there's raw almonds there for quite a bit cheaper, but lots of choices.  Any recommendations?

Second, I was going to smoke them using my A-Maze-n pellet smoker.  I was thinking of using apple.  Any thoughts?  I did some searches here on the site and found a thread that said to go easy on the smoke, which seems counter-intuitive.  Is that true?

Finally, if I do use my A-Maze-n smoker to get them smoked, should I then roast them using my broiler in my oven?
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited October 2016
    I do a lot of smoked almonds or mixed nuts. I can't exactly answer all your questions but I do know if you go with the cold smoker you will definitely need to roast them to give them some snap. 

I use use apple and go 3-4 hrs at 250 on the egg, stirring them around a couple times during. The hot smoke doesn't really need an oven step, they are nice and roasted this way. 

Make sure you grind your salt and spices to dust. That's key to getting them to stick. I use bacon fat and toss the nuts in the fat, then the salt and spices. But I have also used vegetable oil and hazelnut oil. Hazelnut wasn't worth the effort. Bacon is best but if you have vegetarian friends...get new friends. 

Good luck. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Try a costco or Sam's club for nuts. 3 lbs of almonds is about $16 at my local costco.
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    I get nuts for $10 a pound at the farmers market.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• BilZol
    BilZol Posts: 698
    We are going to try the same thing with marcona almonds for the same reason, gifts. I have to say I like the idea of roasting them while smoking them. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • For Almonds, if you are buying them raw with the skins on, you will need to blanch and skin them (pinch the fat end after blanching and they'll shoot out of the skins), then roast/smoke them. I would do a temp of 225-250 for the smoke because you need the heat to cook them from the raw state. Otherwise they will have a bitter flavor. 

Try finding a local nut company to get a supply. We have several here in Houston - this place sells them for $35 a 5lb bag: https://www.fredlyn.com/products-item/Raw_Almonds[1]?previous_url_id=1

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Costco.. Also, there is recipe I found that was a big hit. I don't know how to embed the youtube (help?), but here is link.. Also, I soak the almonds for 10 minutes before oil/seasoning.

https://youtu.be/OuzPGmlcdZY

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they carry raw almonds for around $6/lb.  My typical process is 1) soak the raw almonds in cold water for 5+ minutes, 2) drain, 3) toss with olive oil, hot sauce and salt, 4) spread on a pizza screen, 5) season, 6) onto egg indirect @ 225-250 with pecan and apple for 1 hour, 7) roast in oven @ 205 until crunchy (2-4 hours).  I've tried going longer in the egg as suggested above, but found that I end up over cooking / burning too many nuts.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    edited November 2016
    I smoke almonds all the time.  I use the a-mazing smoker with hickory on one side and cherry on the other.  I place the pan of raw almonds in my old gasser and fire up the a-mazing smoker.  I let it go for 3 hours then follow Michael Ruhman's recipe for the finish.  

Definitely grind the spices to a fine powder, I use an old coffee grinder. 
    See link  http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/spicy-smoked-nuts-632/ 
    Edina, MN

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!  I appreciate it!
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI