Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flame Boss pit probe question

Options
Since I bought my FB200 there has been an issue where the pit probe shows as a very fuzzy line on the online graph. A rep from FB sent me a new power supply and I have tried that but the pit line is still fuzzy. So today spare ribs on the egg and same thing, fuzzy line so at the 1:40 mark, I opened egg and replaced the pit probe that came with the unit with a spare probe I bought to have on hand so someday if the stock probe failed, it would not ruin the cook.
The pit line seems to have improved some and I need more time and testing but my question is to anyone with a FB200, is your pit line fuzzy like mine or straight?

Todays cook: https://myflameboss.com/cooks/47607
--
Jeff
Near Twin Cities, MN
Large BGE

Comments

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Options
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Don't have a flame boss but I have been debating it. 

Seen a a lot of people lately saying they have been having problems with theirs. Making me second guess. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options
    My last long cook. 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I don't think this represents a defect, but I'm no expert. What if you swap the meat and pit probes? 

Maybe it looks like that because the pit temp input/probe is over sampled,  i. e.  too many data points are being collected and then shown on the graph? 

FB service has been stellar for the couple of minor issues that I had with mine. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Doesn't look like there's anything wrong to me......looks pretty normal actually.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    That's not fuzzy, it's normal. What you're seeing is simply the tiny up/down movement of the temperature over time. Your chart shows that it's based on over 10,000 sample points, over just a few inches of chart. Every single one of those samples is shown, which is why it looks "fuzzy". Absolutely as designed.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • znagle28
    Options
    My FB200 has probably been my favorite addition to the egg so far. Agreed with what OhioEgger said above.
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    I am going strictly by what the rep from Flame Boss is telling me and it concerned him enough that he made changes to the unit itself and sent a replacement power supply. I am glad I asked here as it seems to mirror others experience with the FB. The last cook, it was somewhat erratic in holding temperature and they made another change to the unit yesterday so hopefully it will be dialed in now.  They do respond and help every time I have asked. 
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE