Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna Steaks

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a great New Year's weekend with Mr. Egg. Beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, lobster ("Dwell In The Shell" was great!). Exception was tuna -- overdone and a big disappointment. We like our tuna medium rare. I thought I had figured out the tuna thing, but apparently not. With Egg at about 700 -- I did 2 minutes per side and 2 minutes dwell. I usually wrap them with bacon and did not do that this time. That probably contributed to the overdone factor. Need some help to perfect the consistent medium rare tuna steak.[p]Also, looking for a good marinade for tuna steaks -- something sweet, like a Polynesian flavor. Slocum's here in Atlanta has the best tuna steaks -- but they will not tell you what is in their marinade. Tastes like pineapple juice, honey, a little bourbon and I can't figure out the rest.[p]Egg On,
CharDawg

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    CharDawg,[p]Since I like fish done in a blackand style, I won't be able to help you make it like you wish. I would guess that cutting the fire temp down and reducing the times will yield raw fish, so you will need to experiment with time vs temps.[p]Tim
  • CharDawg,[p] Your cooking times don't sound unreasonable to me. How thick were the steaks? I normally get the fish person to slice me off a fresh piece about 1.5"-2" thick. The piece of fish normally weighs in at a bit over a pound. Then I halve it into two smaller thick steaks when I get home. I usually cook at just a bit lower temperature when I do it (600-650F). I like it pretty rare in the middle. NatureBoy can probably hook you up with a sweet asian marinade. [p]MikeO
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    CharDawg,[p]I think that you should have removed the fish before the dwell & you'd have been okay. I have found that the best marinade for tuna is extra-virgin olive oil & salt & pepper. (This has to do more with food chemistry than flavor). Serve immediately with a fruit salsa like this one, which I usually make with mangoes:
    SIMPLE PEACH SALSA
    Makes about 3 cups
    If you don't have peaches, you can substitute a number of other
    yellow-orange fruits, including mangoes, pineapples, and
    papaya.
    2 ripe but not mushy peaches, pitted and chopped coarse
    1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced thin
    1 small red onion, cut into long, thin slices
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 medium clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    6 tablespoons juice from 3 medium limes
    1 jalapeño or other medium hot chile pepper, minced
    Salt and ground black pepper
    Mix all ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, in
    medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 1
    hour or up to 4 days.[p]I'll be happy to give you more info about grilling the tuna if you e-mail me.[p]Bone appétit! JCA

• CharDawg,
    I coat the tuna steaks with coarsely cracked black pepper and sesame seeds after putting some olive oil on them. They cook up with a nice crust from this, and come out blue in the middle if you cook them hot and quick. Time depends on thickness of steaks, and temp of Egg.
    I make a dipping sauce of Mirin (Kikkoman has this) which is sweet, some added soy sauce (to taste), fresh ginger slices and some finely chopped scallions-let all this sit for an 30 minutes or so prior to using as a dip to let the ginger flavor the sauce. Also, I like some pickled ginger along with the dipping sauce. A little freshly mixed Wasabe to nip with each bite of tuna after dipping it in the sauce makes me feel like I am in the Union Square Grill in New York which serves it this way (not cooked in the BGE however).[p][p]

• I had thought afterward that the dwell time might have been what put them over the top. I'm going to get a couple of pieces this weekend and experiment before I cook for the family next time. Probably back the temp to 600 and do 2 minutes a side with no dwell. It is not a pretty sight to see $40 worth of tuna steaks and nobody (including me) excited about eating them. Ughhh....
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    CharDawg,
    I agree with those times. If you like it rare like I do, try the 750 plus turbo temps for 90 seconds a side. The very center will be red. If you have god fresh tuna, IMO, this method can't be beat.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ