Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Going to Disney

Options
BilZol
BilZol Posts: 698
edited October 2016 in EggHead Forum
Tonight wraps up the fifteenth straight cook on the eggs and now they rest for seven. 
Taking my wife and two of my daughters to Disney for a week and letting Mickey Mouse cook for us. Travel agent has us booked for meals pretty well but we have a few lunch and dinner openings. Any suggestions for meals on the property? I think we have 24 meal credits unused. 

Sorry if this ended uo in wrong section. I'm on a mobile and maybe have fat fingered something and cannot edit forum or delete. 
Bill   Denver, CO
XL, 2L's, and MM

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    California grill is rock solid- go on firework night as it's a great view of the show. 

Another good choice if flying fish cafe or grill- can't remember exact name but good spot.

have been to both several times and haven't had a bad experience. 

These se are some of their higher end spots for dinner.

lower key- the Mexican place in Epcot is fun and kids will like. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Sanaa at Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani...one of the best places on property. Get the bread service with all nine accompaniments...delicious.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Also, T-Rex and House of Blues at Disney Springs are both good. We also like Beaches and Cream at the Beach Club and Whispering Canyon Cafe at the Wilderness Lodge.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Which Disney? 

I am talking Disneyland.

The Downtown Disney restaurants that I went to were good, we mostly went to the fast portion of the restaurants, but the New Orleans place was ok, the taco place want bad, ESPN zone was cool - huge arcade up top, Ariels Gratto was great for the girls - it's a character dining, the Goofy Kitchen was good too - also character dining, and the restaurant inside California Grande Hotel is good.  I also enjoy the dole whip from near pirate area.  

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    Just chiming in with agreements...  We went for a week last December.

California Grill is really good.  One of the top places I have been too.   A bit spendy but I would definitely go back.

Sanaa... with the bread service.   Very tasty.

Most of the other "sit down" places we went to where buffet style.   Pretty blah.
    smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I live in OC so we go to Disneyland quite often.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen is really good in Downtown Disney. The food at House of blues is always as well.

Steakhouse 55 is really good if you are looking for that kind of food. 

In the park Blue Bayou is probably the best you can get minus Club 33.

If you want any recommendations for meals outside the park let me know. 
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • BilZol
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. It is Disneyworld. We've got a couple of days we don't go to the parks so we'll definitely go to some of the places in Disney Springs. My girls are in their mid twenties so I'll pass the recommendations along to them as well. I'm sure they won't want to hang around us old folks the whole time. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • BilZol
    Options
    We are doing a red eye out, at airport now, so I'm sure rooms won't be ready. We'll probably be at Disney Springs first thing unless we're lucky and can get a room and crash. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Victoria and Albert's at the Polynesian(?) if you're looking to splurge a little.  
  • Bshults1
    Options
    The Mexican place in Epcot is always a good experience for kids.  The 50's sci fi drive in at Hollywood Studios is fun too.  Food...meh
  • Bshults1
    Options
    Sorry, V & A's at the Grand Floridian.  I liked the Brazilian steakhouse style joint at the Polynesian as well.  Animal Kingdom has a pretty good African place that I can't think of off the top of my head
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Disregard my post.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    There is a safari that you can do at the Animal Kingdom that has to be booked at least in advance, it's called the Wild Africa Trek. Totally worth doing in terms of content, you get to walk along rope bridges and get closer to stuff than the normal Safari tour. I do note that the prices have gone up quite a bit from when we went a couple of years ago.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    The Japanese and Norwegian restaurants in Epcot are very good
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    No eatery comments but at the end of the run at Disney World, "Happiness is Disney World in the rear-view mirror."  Just an opinion...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sorry ... forgot to mention that at the end of the Safari trek, there's an excellent African-style lunch, cooked by the team at Jiko in Animal Kingdom Lodge, which was kinda the point of posting.

Also at Jiko itself, they have a wine bar with lots of wines by the glass, you can order some lovely flatbreads to eat there, or dine in their wine room (but ask in advance to eat in that room).

And lastly, if you are there now it's the Food and Wine Festival ... some excellent snacks on the move. Italy, Brazil, Greece, Ireland, Mexico and New Zealand are normally good.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• clemsontyger97
    Options
    Brown Derby at Magic Kingdom.   Family style.   expensive (What isn't?).   Probably best place we ate while there as far as in-park restaurants.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • Parkersquared
    Options
    We are headed back in December. Our favorite quick service/snack is the waffle sandwich from sleepy hollow in MK. 
    Wiggins, MS
  • BilZol
    Options
    Bshults1 said:
    Victoria and Albert's at the Polynesian(?) if you're looking to splurge a little.  
    Going there Wednesday night. Love that place. 
    Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Why not go for it and do the Chef's table at Victoria and Albert's?

http://victoria-alberts.com/chefs-table.html

I did it one time and it was pretty fantastic.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BilZol
    Options
    Why not go for it and do the Chef's table at Victoria and Albert's?

http://victoria-alberts.com/chefs-table.html

I did it one time and it was pretty fantastic.
    Not sure if the chefs table was booked but we are doing V&A Wednesday. Did Morimoto for lunch today, it was outstanding. Wife and I did the Peking duck. 
    Going to Citricos tonight. 
    Everyone we've encountered is in splendid form as usual for Disney. 

Bill   Denver, CO
    XL, 2L's, and MM
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    After spending 12-14 hrs shoulder to shoulder with 1000s of tourists, nothing beats room service pizza and beer on the room's balcony. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Bring a few cases of beer for your room. We stayed at french quarter a few weeks ago. Try the french restaurant at Epcot, really good steak frites. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)