Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does the gasket really do much?

Options
My original gasket has been completely fried for a good while now.  I bought a replacement gasket almost a year ago but have been too lazy to install it.  I will probably get around to it but in the meantime I have not noticed any issues - at all - with my egg despite the "problem".  I can stabilize at anything from 200 up (even a bit below) even for overnight cooks.  Anyone else not bother?
Toronto ON

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Many don't bother with a gasket. I like a gasket just for the cushioning it provides when closing the dome. Quiet instead of that awful "clacking" sound. Also, you probably burn more lump during the shut down process than you would if it were better sealed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Mine is basically gone, but I haven't had any trouble holding temps and I haven't noticed that I may burn more lump at shut down.  Now I do understand about the lid hitting the base hard would not be good, but with the XL you can't really drop the lid so I put it down nice and easy.  If it is working for you without it, just hold on to it to it starts to not hold a temp.  If I decide to change mine I will be getting hold of @RRP.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    the original manual (50s-50s era) refers to the gasket's purpose as what @carolinaQ mentions, simply a cushion for when you shut the dome, avoiding slamming ceramic against ceramic.

my gut though is that this gasket is what makes the difference (aside from the ceramic of course, which is insulative) between this and kettle cookers, and what made the BGE essentially air tight

i doubt anyone purchased them originally for low-and-slow cooks (my mental picture of the 50s-60s is hamburgers and hot dogs and steaks), but maybe eventually when it was discovered how closely you could dial in the temps (and hold them), the gasket began to be seen as more important.

yes, you can cook without one.  those who do have said it is not a big deal that it is not airtight.

it's logical that if the ungasketed egg does maybe let in a little extra air, that you'd just habitually dial back the vents, and still be able to cook low.

whether the leak really allows air in during a cook (that'd be an odd draft that comes in, goes down, mixes with incoming air from the lower vent, and then goes up and out), i dunno.

BUT

i was able once to use a gasketless egg for an extended weekend, along with a very dense long lasting charcoal, 'wicked good'. i had my own BGE at home, airtight with a rutland, but this was a vacation house i was renting.

i filled it as i always do, pretty much full (even though I am not going to use it all).  i cooked on it, and then shut down the egg (rain cap and lower vent shut) for the night.

when i went to use it the next day, most of the remaining charcoal had burnt out.

what the....? this simply doesn't happen in my own BGE

the egg's owner mentioned later that he only really uses as much lump as he needs for each cook.

so, it appears temp control is minimally affected (if at all).  but in my experience, having regularly used a gasketed egg daily and then immediately switching to a gasketless (at a vacation house), i noticed the difference.  and it was significant.

it took much longer to shut down, and most of my extra lump was used up.

YMMV

• tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    Options

I obviously don't have enough experience yet to know one way or the other, but I personally come from the school of thought, that if it didn't make a difference, then why would the manufacturer of the Egg have it there? 

Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No, only really need as @Carolina Q said. 6+ years on a Large and a Mini without. When the other Large and Mini-Max go away I will not replace. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I'd figure cracks in ceramic more likely to occur or inevitable ones would be accelerated if constantly closing the lid with no gasket 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I'd figure cracks in ceramic more likely to occur or inevitable ones would be accelerated if constantly closing the lid with no gasket 
    Might not want to drop it w/o gasket. But I don't drop it anyway so that's no problem. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ive come to the conclusion that the silicone seal on the lower vent is more important for shut down than the felt seal being in place,  JustineCaseyFeldown was probably using an egg that was doing 1200 degree pizza cooks, melting lead for fishing weights etc and that silicone on the lower vent was shot =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    It depends on the egg. There are some that the dome and base are perfectly made, and there is no gap. Some are uneven which lets air in, and when done cooking it takes longer for the fire to go out. I have cooked on eggs with no gaskets and low and slows are no problem. If someone lets the dome slam you will glad if you have a gasket.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    oxygen can only be pulled up thru the lower vent from heat and the chimney effect or with the use of blowers. shut the lower vent tight, assuming the lower vent has a good seal and the base fills with co2 snuffing the fire. a lighter gas like oxygen can not sink down though the co2 and light that fire down below. thats in a more perfect world, the lower vent however does leak, the dome gasket is going to leak, the daisy is going to leak.... its a smoker, every other smoker leaks, they have always leaked. theres three areas an egg leaks, the lower vent is the bigger of the problems, thats where oxygen enters and affects the fire
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Gasketless for 2+ years and it works fine.  Overnight long cooks,  shuts down with no problem and plenty of lump left over. 

The only issue I have is when I cook a low n slow is I need to put the probe wires out the top as then it causes a gap between the base and dome if the wires were in the  way.

Garnerville, NY
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I agree with the idea that one of the reasons gaskets are employed is to help with slight manufacturing deviations. Not all bases and domes are going to come out perfectly round and perfectly flat. Also, given the nature of the bands/hinge design keeping the base/dome in perfect alignment is not a given.

I'll disagree a bit with @JustineCaseyFeldown regarding Weber kettles. A "fresh" Weber kettle may not seal tightly but once they've been used for awhile and build up a bit of gunk the base/dome will seal nicely. I have no problem snuffing out the coals on my kettle for reuse the next time. Weber Smokey Mountain smokers also have the same experience. Fresh out of the box they are a bit drafty but once you get some gunk in the seams they will seal up quite a bit.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I have been needing to replace mine for a few years, have the material, just too lazy to do it I guess.  But everything works fine, so not much incentive to rush out and do it.  I guess mine has enough gunk built up after all these years that it closes quietly too !!
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    oxygen can only be pulled up thru the lower vent from heat and the chimney effect or with the use of blowers. shut the lower vent tight, assuming the lower vent has a good seal and the base fills with co2 snuffing the fire. a lighter gas like oxygen can not sink down though the co2 and light that fire down below. thats in a more perfect world, the lower vent however does leak, the dome gasket is going to leak, the daisy is going to leak.... its a smoker, every other smoker leaks, they have always leaked. theres three areas an egg leaks, the lower vent is the bigger of the problems, thats where oxygen enters and affects the fire
    Except that the air heated by the fire rises and colder air coming in at the top of the base will drop down feeding oxygenated air to the fire.  As long as there is a spot where enough hot air can exit and another where enough fresh air can enter, air currents can be created to keep the fire going.  The entry spot does not have to be at the bottom.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    the original manual (50s-50s era) refers to the gasket's purpose as what @carolinaQ mentions, simply a cushion for when you shut the dome, avoiding slamming ceramic against ceramic.

my gut though is that this gasket is what makes the difference (aside from the ceramic of course, which is insulative) between this and kettle cookers, and what made the BGE essentially air tight

i doubt anyone purchased them originally for low-and-slow cooks (my mental picture of the 50s-60s is hamburgers and hot dogs and steaks), but maybe eventually when it was discovered how closely you could dial in the temps (and hold them), the gasket began to be seen as more important.

yes, you can cook without one.  those who do have said it is not a big deal that it is not airtight.

it's logical that if the ungasketed egg does maybe let in a little extra air, that you'd just habitually dial back the vents, and still be able to cook low.

whether the leak really allows air in during a cook (that'd be an odd draft that comes in, goes down, mixes with incoming air from the lower vent, and then goes up and out), i dunno.

BUT

i was able once to use a gasketless egg for an extended weekend, along with a very dense long lasting charcoal, 'wicked good'. i had my own BGE at home, airtight with a rutland, but this was a vacation house i was renting.

i filled it as i always do, pretty much full (even though I am not going to use it all).  i cooked on it, and then shut down the egg (rain cap and lower vent shut) for the night.

when i went to use it the next day, most of the remaining charcoal had burnt out.

what the....? this simply doesn't happen in my own BGE

the egg's owner mentioned later that he only really uses as much lump as he needs for each cook.

so, it appears temp control is minimally affected (if at all).  but in my experience, having regularly used a gasketed egg daily and then immediately switching to a gasketless (at a vacation house), i noticed the difference.  and it was significant.

it took much longer to shut down, and most of my extra lump was used up.

YMMV

I could be mistaken but my understanding is that BGE was launched in '74; though obviously kamado cookers greatly predate this,
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    I went without a gasket for a couple of weeks. No problem cooking but it did more charcoal; mainly due to the fire not being snuffed out.