Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizzas on BGE with pics

Options
TheToast
TheToast Posts: 376

I've had my BGE for 10 months and owned a pizza stone most of that but I only just got round to making pizzas today. I kinda messed up the dough - 4 dough balls expanded sideways into pancakes, rather than upwards into plump balls. Maybe I didn't knead for long enough. But still, they worked out ok - flat, crisp but not dry and brittle.  Just didn't really rise and bubble. 

I cooked at 350c (660f) with platesetter legs down, then grill, then pizza stone. I've read loads of different variations on how to set up, but this simple setup worked fine for me - no messing around with fire bricks / legs / whatever. And pizzas cooked in 4-5mins. Was quite surprised at the speed.

One mistake was to scatter semolina on the pizza stone. I swear I read that somewhere. It just burnt and burnt the bottom of my first pizza. After that, the other pizzas worked out great. Cooked 4 in total - really impressed how well they turned out. Will definitely throw a pizza party now!

Best of all, looks like my gasket survived the high heat.

Comments