Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To rinse or not to rinse

Hans61
Hans61 Posts: 3,901
Going to low n slow some babybacks today, been reading some internet that says thou shall not rinse,  something about cross-contamination, bacteria in the sink. It would be a lot easier to not rinse.  Before I always rinsed every slab and patted dry with paper towels then wiped out sink with Chlorax bleach. 

So so do you guys rinse your ribs? Mine are from Costco.
“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
Coach Finstock Teen Wolf

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    I rinse and have never worried about cross-contamination.  Figure the adult supervisory beverages have a medicinal side , as well.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I don't rinse any meat. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I never rinse meat. Pat dry with paper towels and then apply seasoning.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    No reason to rinse, safety wise. If the surface was covered in pathogenic bacteria that could survive the heat of cooking, a rinse under the sink wouldn't help the cause. 

I rinse the thin sliced beef short ribs only because they tend to have a lot of bone chips from all the slicing. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    No rinse for me.  Don't see any benefit.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Also in the no rinse camp... However we could bring this post to life next Friday... "Do you rinse your meat".. ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    I do not rinse. 
    VA Beach
  • Hans61
    Majority rules. Going to open pat dry mustard and season. Thanks all!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I rinse if they have a stank or are slimy or really drippy.  Never have used Clorox in the sink though, just spray it down w/hot water.  I think probably too much pork paranoia still around from our parents' generation.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    I don't rinse and even read somewhere as mentioned above that even rinsing chicken is a waste of time. I still rinse chicken, because, well, it's chicken, but have never thought to rinse any other cut of meat. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hans61 said:
    Majority rules. Going to open pat dry mustard and season. Thanks all!
    A waste of perfectly good mustard.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hans61
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Turned out good!
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I put shampoo in my hair, then towel it dry.  In all fairness, I just read the thread subject.
    I never rinse meat out of a "white styrofoam tray covered with Saran Wrap", nor meats wrapped by my meatmonger in butcher paper.  I always rinse meats coming out of a cryo-pak.
    There is no method, madness, or scientific reason I do this.  I just do.  :i_dunno:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    And is "meatmonger" even a word?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I rinse

i worked with a kid in the meat department who would randomly snort up some phlegm and spit it into the 99 cent a pound steak tips (ca 1983)

and i myself forgot to put a plastic bin under the output hole of the thing we'd run the subprimals thru to be chopped up. 

It all landed on the floor in the backroom of the meat department. I told my manager, expecting to be fired. He shrugged and kicked a bin over to me and we picked it up and plopped it in. 

• Hans61
    I rinse

i worked with a kid in the meat department who would randomly snort up some phlegm and spit it into the 99 cent a pound steak tips (ca 1983)

and i myself forgot to put a plastic bin under the output hole of the thing we'd run the subprimals thru to be chopped up. 

It all landed on the floor in the backroom of the meat department. I told my manager, expecting to be fired. He shrugged and kicked a bin over to me and we picked it up and plopped it in. 

Wish you had said this earlier :-)
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    It's fine. No rinse here 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Bshults1
    Bshults1 Posts: 145
    No rinse.  Cook it.  Eat it.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bah.  Unless you suspect foul play in ground meat, something processed with a jaccard, or mechanically pounded like the fodder for a chikkin fried steak, cook it the way you want. The outside will get cooked.  Most of the Costco meats are run through some tenderizing jaccard machine.  Or they used to be.  (i think that was on the label?).  I have not heard of mass food poisoning from their pushing of surface bacteria into meat that's cooked rare, frequently.

The current predominant best practice is don't rinse, but that's just because they are safety nazis and assume the meat will splash water and contaminate stuff around the sink or where ever. 

Ahi tuna should never be rinsed unless you have salt water and that's only if someone hocked a phlem ball or some diesel fuel on it.  Denatures the meat.  Oysters - nope.  Scallops - nope.  Clams - nope. 

Rinsing most other meats doesn't hurt the meat.  If it makes you feel better about it - by all means. You eat with your brain, not your stomach.   
    BTW - Google was not used in the above response, so therefore it is hereby qualified as my opinion and everyone should follow at your own risk as I do not assume any responsibility for not performing research writing said statement.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.

I just open it over the sink, pat it dry, and then season. I don't bleach the sink after. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Patter here....
  • Legume
    Great info on rinsing seafood @nolaegghead, I had no idea and am sure I've been guilty of this.  Thx.
  • tikigriller
    tikigriller Posts: 1,389
    I barely wash my hands after handling chicken and I have never gotten sick. I think most people are just paranoid. 
    Just bought an Egg?  Here is what you get to look forward to now:

Plate Setter, FlameBoss 200, Spider, PSWOO-CI, Additional Rig Shelf for dome cooking, Thermapen, iGrill2, Cast Iron, Blackstone, Cooking Accessories for the Blackstone, Cover for the Egg and the Blackstone, shopping for Rub like a fine wine or IPA, and a new fascination with lump and what brand is the best-all to be debated every Friday Night.  Next desires-Joetisceriie, Adjustable Rig, Grillmates, table and more eggs

Livermore, California
  • Legume
    I can't remember ever rinsing beef, but pork & chicken, yes.  Not on the locally packed styrofoam and plastic wrap, just when something is sealed up in a bag or cryo pack of some kind. For some reason I always rinse the liquid in chicken and pork packages, but the beef never strikes me as needing to be rinsed off.  In my head, I suppose.
  • Hans61
    I figure what it comes down to is, is there any bacteria on the surface of the meat that can survive the cooking process but a rinse could remove.
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I rinse ribs to remove any odors from the croyovac then pat dry with paper towels. Same with brisket if there is an odor from packaging.
  • Hans61
    dstearn said:
    I rinse ribs to remove any odors from the croyovac then pat dry with paper towels. Same with brisket if there is an odor from packaging.
    Absolutely agree - rinse if there's an odor, if rinsing doesn't take care of it - return it
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf