Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What do I need to buy to get started.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of buying a small BGE and I need to know a couple of things first.
1) Are they worth the money?
2) What accessories/items are required to get started. I was thinking of buying the small BGE, the stand, a cover, and some charcoal...maybe the cookbook.
3) Can I buy direct from BGE by calling their number?[p]Thanks in advance,
Richard Price

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Richard P.,
    1. In a word "yes".
    2. Buy the egg, a thermometer, an electric starter, and charcoal. The stand, the cover are nice but not absolutely necessary. Don't pay extra for the cookbook but it can serve as an emergency firestarter. This forum is much better for cooking advice.
    3. Shipping will kill you if you try to buy direct. If you're anywhere near Atlanta you can pick one up but if not go to the dealer locater in this web site and find a dealer nearby.[p]You might want to consider a medium (or large) rather than a small.

• Ray
    Ray Posts: 59
    Options
    Richard P.,
    I started out with the small egg. I quickly realized that I needed a bigger one. I now also have the large. They are well worth the money. - Ray

• Richard P.,
    I also find the ash tool real handy. Both for stirring the existing coals to sift out the ash, and for scraping out the ash below. Wouldn't do without one. Ditto on the size recommendations.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Richard P,
    They are indeed worth the money! Buy the largest one that you can possibly rationalize*; remember, you should never need to replace it. An EGGcessory that no one ever seems to mention is the grill grid grabber tool. I don't know what I'd do without mine. And I sure wish I could find the ash tool in all this snow. Bone appétit! JCA[p]*That's what credit cards are for....

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Richard P.,
    GO Large if you can afford it. I started with a Large and received a Mini for my birthday and I still want to get qa small or a medium!
    The ash tool, a daisy wheel, grill gripper, lump, starter cubes and a good steak.
    Have fun and welcome[p]Carey

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    J Appledog, I made an ash tool at work with a larger end on it and works perfect as a grill grabber,coal stirrer as well as an ash removal tool.......spring handle and all....
    But, yes, some sort of a grill grabber is a good idea...[p]Roger!